H.264 vs. VP7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by snkTab, Sep 25, 2005.

1. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Anyone have any opinion on On2's VP7 as compare to H.264. The only information I seemed to be able to get was on On2's website, which I'm going to believe as much as the stuff on Apple's website.

On2 states that VP7 is better quality than H.264. I think general consensus is that H.264 maintains a constant quality although may smooth a little too much, while VP7 can have more details but also more blocking and quality breakdowns. Although, IMO both seem to be quite untested.

Seems that On2 more or less bashes H.264 because it's a standard and not proprietary. Which IMO is a another whole can of worms.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's probably comparable, from what I've read (Google is your friend). Better at some things, but not with others. And I think you have it backwards. H.264 is an open standard. I'm not sure if Apple's version is proprietary or not, but 264 itself is not.

It's still fairly new, so you might need to wait awhile before independant reviews.

3. snkTab thread starter macrumors 6502a

snkTab

What I meant was On2 is bashing H.264 because it is a standard. On2 is touting propietary as better. Which, actual comparison of the codecs aside, might actually have a better development model. Standards such as MPEG and most notably IMO OpenGL, seem to craw in development and releases. That said, the standards have a lot of technology from a lot of key players involved.

4. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

5. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I gather you're talking about On2's codec if you are you can get it Here
    [edit] this codec is VP3, VP7 is for windows

6. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Thanks.
    How does VP3 compare to VP7? I gather it's not as good...

llama :)

7. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

To be honest I haven't come across any VP3 encoded movies yet and VP7 is windows only at the moment, now the VP6 codec used in Flash8 is an improvement over Flash MX Flash8 v MX

8. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Cool thanks.
    Llama :)

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Oh, I see what you mean. Misunderstood you. Well that's just stupid. (them, not you)