H-Bomb Pioneer Edward Teller Dies at 95

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Sep 10, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hope this doesn't turn into a political discussion. :rolleyes:

story here

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah Teller saw quite a bit of change in his life. Plus he got to meet and work with some of the foremost physicists of the day. Must have been cool to have hung out with people like Heisenberg and Bohr. I bet those guys had some discussions that would make my brain hurt.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I think I would rather have talked with Teller than Heisenberg or Bohr. While I respect the ideas of the former two, I think they would be fairly boring to talk to whereas Teller could talk about his physics work and his later work as a advisor on defense and armament and his work at livermore. Then again i am more interested in the government and governmental policy parts of his life while you seem more interested in his actual physics work.

4. Waluigi macrumors 6502

RIP

RIP. Edward Teller did a good deal to advance the study of physics, and will be remembered for that. I love physics!

--Waluigi

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

May he rest in peace. We can thank Dr. Teller for his work in nuclear physics during the Cold War. My thoughts go our to his family and friends!

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: H-Bomb Pioneer Edward Teller Dies at 95

what do you mean by political? like, discussing our opinions on his life's accomplishments? that certainly seems appropriate to me, otherwise we're bound by "he was a great scientist" and nothing more...

pnw

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: H-Bomb Pioneer Edward Teller Dies at 95

I think he means a discussion on the merits of using nu-cu-lar weapons. Talk all you want about his accomplishments.

8. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I met Dr. Teller at Clemson University in the 1980's while working on my BA. He was part of a panel debate with Charlton Heston defending Reagan's decision to place a new class of midrange nu-cu-lar missiles in West Germany. A surreal debate to be sure. He seemed very animated when discussing the possibility of a global holocaust. Almost Dr. Strangelove-ish.

I remember how he always came back to the same point though, " ... don't worry, we have weapons you can't even imagine ... if we need them, they will be there ..."