H.S. Junior patents chip making breakthrough

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Feb 27, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

High school junior Ryna Karnik makes a truly incredible breakthrough that will speed the development of more powerful CPUs and other integrated circuits and reduce the cost and time of prototyping new chips. It sounds like something out of StarTrek but it is a real device. Using a small particle accelerator about 6'x3' in dimensions, the device can "burn" a chip 1 transistor at a time.

Ryna will probably become as rich as Bill Gates with her invention.

"Ryna's technique is fabrication without masks and without photoresist," McCarthy said. "It allows deposition and etching from computer-stored patterns, which can be modified easily and quickly, compared to the week required to produce a new set of masks for a new chip design."

"Using photoresist to create transistors can be a 20- to 100-step process," Karnik added. "Using a focused beam of heavy gallium ions to etch the transistors directly takes six to seven steps."

Transistors connect to their circuits in three different places: a gate, a source and a drain. When Karnik tested the individually etched transistors with a three-point probe, she showed that "transistor wiring to the source, the drain and the gate were not shorted and doped regions were activated," McCarthy said. "The transistor operated as expected."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=75&ncid=75&e=7&u=/nf/20030226/tc_nf/20853

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's wild - I wonder who will be the first manufacturer to use the process.

But the big question is....where the hell does a high school junior get access to a particle accellerator???

That's nuts but very cool. :D

D

3. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

One word: ebay... :D

One word: ebay.

;)

P.S. Too bad she didn't have a few cereal box tops to trade in with the order, she might have gotten a decoder ring along with the particle accelerator Special Edition through the January Sale.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Aw damnit.

SHE WAS THE PERSON WHO OUT BID ME ON EBAY?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :eek: :eek:

Fine now i'll need to patent the making of chips with those devices.

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

She has a bright future ahead of her, I wonder how much she will be payed by manufacturers to use this process.

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Wow, talk about imressive... I wonder how she would even think about this process as still being a high school student, whereas the guys at intel with billions of dollars to blow couldn't do it. I wonder if it is really effective in the kind of scale needed for mass production.

7. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Wow.

Just imagine (or don't! :D) what she could do with a simple chewing gum wrapper! It's kind of McGyver-ish, don't you think?

:D

8. mikulashek macrumors member

I think it is incredible that a High School student developed this, I didnt have access to anything like this when I was in High School.
    Innovation is always a good thing.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good for her, she is what makes America great. Maybe Apple can use her innovation. Better Apple than Bill Gates!

10. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Too True.. :D

Yep. Me thinks that too. It's awfully inspiring to see someone else at that age succeed. It shows what you can do when you put your mind to work... :D

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The HS needs to sue her for ownership of the patent.

Usually, anytime a student invents anything or creates anything, the school is the intellectual property owner.

12. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yes, she certainly does. I wonder how much she will be payed, too.

13. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Someone find me this issue of Scientific American.. I'm building me a particle accelerator too!

I was really hoping this thread was about some high-school kid who figured out a way to build a smarter, faster, stronger, bigger.... Dorito.