h264 slowness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CubaTBird, Apr 29, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i dunno, i tried some of the clips that apple has hosted on their site.. and even after they all load.. the playback is uber choppy... is it my comp not fast enough?

2. MacVault macrumors 65816

Me too - Noooo!!!

I'm getting the same thing. None of the H.264 clips I've tried work. I get a frame change every 5 seconds or so and audio plays, but I wouldn't call it vidoe. I'm using an iBook G4 800Mhz, 668MB Ram, etc. What is the minimum system requirements for H.264/QT7???

3. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

HD Clips

I wonder if you are browsing the HD Gallery. I believe (I could be wrong on this...) they are .h264 AND Hi-Def... meaning they require MASSIVE amounts of power to play. I believe the site states a G5 is required to play them.

These are very high quality (huge!!) files that are not meant for normal consumption (not yet anyway).

Again I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not. :)

4. MacVault macrumors 65816

Ah, yes, you're probably right about that. Oh well, guess I can't do HD on my iBook :( And IBM doesn't seem to be able to speed up the G5 lately so... whatever :/

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

agreed. AWESOME quality, but it's like playin freakin halo. sometimes it's silky smooth, but sometimes it's just sad...
    imo qt7 sucks because it won't play divx files and freezes when you try, h264 is for all intents and purposes g5 only it seems...ugh...

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well it is said that H.264 is great, but it is up to 10 times more CPU hungry than MPEG-4 :eek: So that might be the reason....well people with a G5 try and see what happens ;)

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If I am reading your statement right you don't think the G5 is much faster then your iBook? The HD clips work great on my iMac G5, granted you have to view the smaller res. but it is so clear it looks like you are standing at your window. (You need a Dual to go to the bigger res. files) Too bad so many people knock the G5 processor when they haven't even gave it a try on things like decoding HD video. Even the single in this iMac does pretty well at very intensive tasks.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It may be CPU requirements.

It appeared to play fine on my G5, and when I was at the apple store, they also played fine on the Emac I was playing with at the Tiger release.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep, choppy on my Mac mini too... But oh my god, the clarity... Power Ma -- NO! *struggles in straitjacket*

<====

10. MacVault macrumors 65816

I know the G5 PowerMacs/iMacs are WAY faster than my iBook, and I'm not knocking the G5, but when stuff like HD require so much power what are we going to do in the new future when a higher quality codec comes out but requires 10 times the CPU as the current G5? What I'm saying is that the requirements are jumping up way faster than the hardware that's being offered - or so it seems to me.

11. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

You guys are almost correct...

Here are the system requirements to play HD movies:
    For 1280x720 (720p) video at 24-30 frames per second:
    1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer
    At least 256 MB of RAM
    64 MB or greater video card
    For 1920x1080 (1080p) video at 24-30 frames per second:
    Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer
    At least 512 MB of RAM
    128 MB or greater video card

These are the requirements for HD MOVIES not H.264 in general. They'll also start releasing movies in normal resolutions that will load much much faster due to H.264, though, I can play 720p movies rather well on my PowerBook (1.5 GHz, 768 MB of RAM)

12. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yea right - no additional hardware needed - MY A$$!
    Just gotta buy a freekin $2000 - $3000 G5 (additional hardware)
    WTH!?!????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Haha..

Love the new Avatar!

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I know they say PowerMac G5, but honestly how much difference is there between the 1.8Ghz PM Single and the iMac 1.8Ghz? I think it is the same system, ie: FSB Speed, Graphics Card, etc. Sounds like Apple is just trying to sell a PowerMac. LOL

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I know what you are saying and I do agree, but at the same time any G5 will play these (again depending on speed for higher res.) and the G5 has been out for 3 years. So that means the hardware to make this possible came way before the software technology did. Where I see your point is the fact that there is still a lot of hardware being offered that will not be able to play these very well.

16. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yea, that's true - AND THIS ALSO IS BAD! Why pay for the hardware if by the time you have software to use it there's new hardware on the horizon, and the cycle continues.

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

very interesting to see it's not based on screen resolution. they're leaving their freakin pro laptops out in the cold because they have g4 processors...im in general really pissed at apple tonight

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I should have said 2 years, I am making the G5 older then it is! Yeah that is the evil cycle of technology and keeping up with it can get expensive. 5 years ago I bought an iMac DV 400. Nice computer at the time and the G3 could run anything Apple had out at the time with ease, but today, it won't do much. It will run Tiger, but it is slow and without any of the frills.

19. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, Apple released a codec that ABSOLUTELY NO Apple portable computer can decode? That sounds really bad. Either Apple's entire line of portable hardware products seriously suck, or Apple is putting out a software product that is entirely out of line with what should be released. Or maybe I'm missing something.

20. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

umm... not for me. H.264 works great on me on my PB. The Batman Begins trailer looks wonderful in HD :D

21. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Really? Thats good to hear then, because the listed system requirements list a G5 processor. Just to be sure, when you are playing an hd movie, open up the info window and see if you are actually playing at the full frame rate. If you are, then h.264 really is a great codec that's worth all the hype and all is well.

22. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

just a little jumpy on my 1.33 ghz G4 PowerBook with 768mb ram. Very playable but it does skip a frame or two here and there. not bad for HD :) quality is amazing.

23. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Watching Batmn Begins on the old eMac - CRYSTAL CLEAR, and only slightly slow.

24. vieoray macrumors regular

i have a 1.6 iMac G5, which falls just below the requirements, and the videos look stunning. they take a couple minutes to load, but they are worth it. the thing i'm amazed with is the window resizing, even on the HD videos ... it's so smooth.

25. DVDSP macrumors regular

I watched two trailers last night, Fantastic Four and Serenity. I was a little apprehensive 'cause I'm running a Dual 800 QS and Panther. The picture was HUGE and looked great, but I can only get 15-18 FPS most of the time. Still, I don't mind the choppy-ness that much, I think it's a fair trade off for the picture quality until I get a G5.

Anyone know if it will run better with Tiger?