Ha! BellSouth saved me money?!?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, May 10, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I got a call just a few minutes ago from a BellSouth sales representative from Port Saint Lucie, FL. This is actually a good thing. The last time I talked to someone from the company, they seemed to be from India. (I no longer call tech support because of it.)

I've been getting 1.5 Mbps down/256 Kbps up DSL and they've been charging $42.95, which is $7.00 cheaper than the original price but still expensive. I've also been getting a $7.00 discount, making it out to be $35.95.

When I talked to the guy on their end, he said that I could get the 3 Mbps down/384 Kbps up for $37.95. If they still give me the discount, it'll be better and cheaper. That's pretty amazing for a company that blatantly charges $2.95 on the bill as a regulatory cost recovery fee for what the government charges them to share their lines, which they don't.

I'm surprised.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Bellsouth is evil. To them, basic regular phone service meant charging me around $75 a month, me trying to cancel the line for more then 3 months, and now they say I owe them money from an unpaid bill that I have proof I paid.

3. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

They're definitely expensive, though in this area, they're not the most expensive, if you actually call locally.

I've been paying around $22 for basic service + taxes and other charges, which means typically around $26.

I can believe that they'd end up charging $75 but find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't get it corrected because some t.v. news station would be all over them. If your local t.v. news or newspaper has a consumer advocate, contact them soon.

4. lonegeek macrumors member

lonegeek

Hmm we have Sprint DSL(earthlink).. They changed rates 5 bucks cheaper a month for 5/640k over 3/512k

Its a great thing when they do that.. and we had only had it about a month

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Honestly, it's not worth the hassle. I used to have just the plain service (I think it was about the rate you quoted), but I upgraded to the area calling plan when I started dating a girl who lived out of town. When that relationship went south, I *thought* I cancelled that part of it; apparently calling them up and speaking to a customer service person outlining exactly what you want to change doesn't count. Add to that every time you try to spend less money with them they spend 90% of the phone call trying to sell you something else. No, I don't want DirectTV. No, I don't want DSL because I have cable internet and you don't even offer it in my area nor support Macs. Then somewhere along the line I "signed up" for the unlimited long distance - tack on another $20. Fast forward a bit and me calling them every time they sent me an outlandish bill, and my current GF [almost literally] dragged me to the cell phone store (which was another fun experience).

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

DSL here in madrid is mad expensive, around 40 euros a month for 1mb/348k:eek:

7. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, I'll be away from here reasonably soon and out of any BellSouth area. They all want you to buy more services, though. I'm just pleased that they have Americans on the phone again so I can understand what they're trying to sell me. :D