Ha! Compaq with OS 9 Dialog Box

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Balin64, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hey, I was just reading a Reader's Digest waiting for my hair cut appointment and I saw this ad. I know it is neither a new or undocumented practice in advertisement, but I thought it was funny/ironic. How low will they go?!

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Wow, I know the Microsoft likes to copy Mac OS...but this is getting pathetic! (actually, I bet it's just pure Radio Shack stupidity, they rarely ever have a clue)

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I'm sure that...

They tried and tried to figure out how to do the screen capture on that Compaq crud-box, and finally just gave up and used their Mac's!

They could even have used VPC and cut the box out of the PC window -- how crude!

Also, I wonder if Apple or a consumer could object to that ad since Radio Shack can't possibly deliver the pictured product -- not just because we can't run Mac OS on a PC, but because they're not Apple resellers.

4. JackRipper macrumors regular

Time remaining

Anybody notice the Time remaining area? Maybe Compaq was knockin on Mac speed?

5. Independence macrumors regular

in case you lot haven't noticed, a lot of ads with computers show mac os 9 on a PC.

6. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Well they are not selling a PC. They are selling a USB2 Compact Flash card reader. The OS doesn't really matter at that point. Maybe they should have retouched out the compac logo.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Yeeks!

Look at that resolution too!

It's not even 640x480!

8. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

dollars to donuts it's due to the fact that many creative/graphics departments are mac-based workflows, so whenever a screen mock-up has to be done, that's the GUI they use as source material. and if no one higher up in the food chain objects (or even notices,) then that's how it runs.

9. Independence macrumors regular

yeah, i know. that's why i said a lot of ads with computers show mac os 9 on a PC.

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

well, obviously it's not a real image, but can't they be running an old mac with a compaq monitor? (i'm not trying to take anything away from the stupidity of this ad, mind you) :)

also, if you were taking files from a flash card reader and transferring them to your computer, wouldn't that be uploading , not downloading?

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It would be downloading, because you are saving the files from a server (the compact flash card) to your computer. It would be uploading if you were saving something on your computer to the card.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

As I already mentioned, Radio Shack isn't exactly managed by the sharpest pencils in the drawer...

13. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Very True...

I completely agree. However, what I find a tad offensive is that they see their potential customer as very uneducated in computer peripherals (as I assume most RD readers are, you would not see this ad running in PC World-at least I hope not and NEVER in MacWorld) but that does not mean they shuld have let it leave the design department that way. The people up in the "food chain" are probably as uneducated as their target customer. You know, the Mac designers must get a kick out of producing these things... the dialog box is clunky, the blue blackground does not look like any OS's desktop. But I could just hear the ad director: "make the message box bigger, give ita clean background... give it witty copy." etc. What a joke. Anyway... that's that.

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

erm thats just a vga monitor, vga monitors work with macs....

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

That's also a PC keyboard.

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

could be usb

17. burgerdog macrumors newbie

Re: Very True...

The ad isn't knocking macs at all. Its about download speeds.

Why be so defensive?

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

So Radio Shack is running an ad for a card with a compaq monitor and a windows keyboard, but also a mac OS/Computer.

:rolleyes:

Still a ggreeaat ad... haha

19. acj macrumors 6502

But wouldn't this make you stop and look? I have a feeling this was somewhat intentional.

20. job macrumors 68040

job

How on Earth is the average Joe Consumer going to know that that is a Mac dialogue box? There is no Apple menu and/or no icons which even hint at the fact that it is a Mac screen capture.

The only reason why we can tell that the screen capture comes from a Mac is that we have used OS9 before and thus can tell that it is a Mac.

Your average Reader's Digest reader probably cannot tell that it's a Mac screen capture. Some people are so touchy about their Mac loyalty. Come on guys, it's not as if anything anti-Mac is heretical.

21. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Actually a similar ad was in PC World. Check my post in "Mac Sightings" in the Community disscusion.