Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
What are the chances somebody out there will one day devise some sort of hack or something to run Classic mode under Rosetta?

What are the challenges here? Difficulties?

Is this entirely impossible? If so, why?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
yg17 said:
Not likely. Even if someone did do that, you'd be emulating emulation....that would be really darn slow
I agree that it is not likely, but I don't think the emulation in an emulation would be too bad for Classic.. after all you only need like 400MHz and you're starting out with 2000.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
That wouldn't be emulating emulation. Mac OS 9 was PowerPC native so why would a PowerPC emulator have to re-emulate PowerPC

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
dpaanlka said:
That wouldn't be emulating emulation. Mac OS 9 was PowerPC native so why would a PowerPC emulator have to re-emulate PowerPC
Because its on Intel. Classic hasn't been put into universal binary, and never will be, so you would have to go like this:

x86 -> PPC -> Classic
(Intel)

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Benjamindaines said:
Because its on Intel. Classic hasn't been put into universal binary, and never will be, so you would have to go like this:

x86 -> PPC -> Classic
(Intel)
The point is PPC -> Classic is NOT emulation.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
There is now an Intel build of SheepShaver for MacOS X. SheepShaver emulates a PPC Mac and will run MacOS 8.6 or 9.0.4. Unlike Classic, it doesn't "disappear" the Finder backdrop, so your classic app windows aren't interspersed with your OS X app windows, but rather the entirety of your OS 9 (or 8.6) environment is in a window, like the VirtualPC is.

SheepShaver does not network on Macs yet (although it does in the PC build, so it could happen), but it's otherwise a decently acceptable solution to running apps you used to run in Classic.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
ahunter3 said:
There is now an Intel build of SheepShaver for MacOS X. SheepShaver emulates a PPC Mac and will run MacOS 8.6 or 9.0.4. Unlike Classic, it doesn't "disappear" the Finder backdrop, so your classic app windows aren't interspersed with your OS X app windows, but rather the entirety of your OS 9 (or 8.6) environment is in a window, like the VirtualPC is.

SheepShaver does not network on Macs yet (although it does in the PC build, so it could happen), but it's otherwise a decently acceptable solution to running apps you used to run in Classic.
Cool, the only issue I see with that is you will have to hunt down a copy of OS 9 on eBay

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
topgunn said:
The point is PPC -> Classic is NOT emulation.
This is only partially true. You are correct that unlike the x86 and PPC, Classic is not a processor. Classic is MacOS 9 running on top of MacOS X. Whereas, MacOS 9 runs only on the PPC, it does not run PPC-code exclusively. MacOS 9 applications may access Macintosh APIs which date back to System 6 or earlier. These old APIs were written in 680x0 assembly language. With the advent of System 7, Apple began the process of replacing them with C++ equivalents which could be compiled to native PPC code. With each successive OS release--System 7.1 and 7.5, MacOS 8.x, and 9.x, a greater fraction of 680x0 APIs were ported to the PPC. However, not all were ported and some cannot be ported. The 680x0-emulator in the Mac ToolBox ROM file is still required to run Classic. This means that Benjamindaines is essentially correct. Running Classic on Intel Macs would indeed require three levels of emulation: x86 > PPC > 680x0.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Classic = Free
Hunting around on eBay = effort, having to deal with sellers, a little bit of money
But Classic requires a working install of OS 9 to work. Does anybody know how tightly the CDs that come with Apple hardware are tied to those specific machines? For example, could I use the OS 9 install CD that came with my Titanium Powerbook on an (otherwise compatible) iMac?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Maybe if they would put slightly more effort into making SheepShaver somewhat easy to use, I would consider using that.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The problem with emulators like sheepshaver is that they are never as reliable as the native computer. It seems to me that the best way to run classic would be to use a classic era machine. You can just get a B/W or Beige G3 for really cheap a smoke through any OS 9 era application or game. Unless you need portability than you will need to use the emulator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.