Hack: Mac Mini guts inside iMac G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jessearl, Mar 13, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Anyone done it yet?

2. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Connecting the screen is the only thing about it that seems to me like it would be even remotely tricky.

3. thread starter macrumors member

So, how about it, anybody with a Mini and an old iMac G4 willing to take on the task?

4. macrumors regular

the question to ask is...

WHY ?!!?

5. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Better processor is about it. Maybe a hard drive upgrade. The other question is... do you use the older tray-loading CD drive or do you go with the newer slot-loading mini's drive? And what about the rear ports?

I guess the ultimate answer is "to say somebody's done it", but I don't see any real huge benefit either.

6. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Totally agree. It would fit, but you would have complications with the CD drive not working quite as well (may even have to hack up that iMac case a bit). In the future, when the mini gets faster, it may be worthwhile... right now, you can just buy an iMac :rolleyes:

7. thread starter macrumors member

Maybe for folks who already have an iMac and want to upgrade it with a Mini. Or who have a broken iMac.

Or, my personal favorite, for people who simply love the form factor of the iMac G4.

8. macrumors 68030

Today I randomly thought about putting a Mini inside my Cube, and that way upgrading it, and having a Mini at the same time. :)

I don't know if I could hook up a full-size hard drive and whatnot, though...

I don't think I'ma do it, though.

9. macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

That's the key reason in my eyes too. I can't see any computer in the next few years even coming close to replicating the effortless cool exuded by the iMac G4. If it'd been less expensive, I can't help but think it'd still be with us only with a G5 chip, instead of the early retirement it got after less than three years.

10. macrumors G4

Mord

it'd be a better idea to just upgarade your cube, it can go a fair bit faster than the current mini's.

if i had a spare cube case i would be tempted.....

11. macrumors G4

Mord

no one will do it because it would be too tricky to get a mac mini wroking with the display you would be better off just buying a 1.25GHz imac and overclocking it :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

"too tricky" only encourages many people. I would try it if I had the parts.