Hack the vote? No problem

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 13, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

salon

(the princeton study)

"I am committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president." -- Diebold CEO Walden O'Dell, in a fall 2003 fundraising letter sent to Republicans

link

this is how democracy dies.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This week's Maryland primaries were disrupted when the Smart authorization cards
    were not delivered on time to numerous poll locations.

Voters were turned away because the machines could not be used without the Smart Cards.

Voters were permitted to use provisional paper ballots, but for some reason
    polls ran out of the Democratic provisional ballots.

Several poll judges never showed up and some poll employees simply quit.

The training is completely inadequate and few truly qualified people are willing
    to work for what is being paid.

Many poll workers have little if any computer or technical skills,so if something does go wrong, no one votes.

This is inexcusable so close to such an important congressional election.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it goes beyond that, though. what happens when the results of all national elections are called into doubt? what happens when the voting public loses all confidence in the election process?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

A revolution?

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

if we're lucky. i fear mass apathy and de facto dictatorial powers by the ruling party. if the GOP controls the elections and the courts, then they control everything.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I wonder what would happen if the nation in its entirety boycotted an election. The cynic in me says something like that is exactly what those in power would like so they can have a "legal" excuse to stay put and continue screwing us over.

As we learned in Florida, paper ballots apparently aren't foolproof either.

As long as there's more profit and/or power to be gained from propping up a broken system than in finding an actual solution, nothing will get done.

I lost faith in our government to do anything remotely useful a long time ago.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Which is exactly why I will absolutely refuse to cast my vote on a computer in November.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One lady had to write down her choices on a scrap piece of paper because her voting location was completely out of provisional paper ballots.
    Democratic provisional ballots.

Sadly a disturbing number of people still do not care ENOUGH to make a major
    fuss if this election gets thrown.

This is a major power struggle.

The Bush administration knows damn well if the neocons are removed from power that they face investigation, exposure and impeachment at the demand of a Democratic majority.

They're talking jail time and they know it.

They will use every dirty trick in the book and spend every cent in their war chest
    to avoid prosecution.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Every voter should demand a paper ballot period, that ends all lies,spin,mistrust etc. Plus it takes awhile to count ending the practice of predicting winners with 5% of the votes counted. Eliminate electronic voting and stop voting fraud. Those in Power though dont seem interested in that.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the primary we had in Ohio earlier this year, Cuyahoga County (which contains Cleveland and most of its surrounding suburbs) was in chaos. Problems with electronic machines all over the place.

Other counties in Ohio did not have such problems, so I cannot conclude that there was a systemic attempt to defeat the system. But...a review of Cuyahoga County's problems later revealed that there was a discrepancy between the electronic vote and the paper trail in something like 75% of the electronic voting machines.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I believe we should stick with paper ballots. It will take more time to count, but at least there aren't as many chances for fraud.

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

My wife and I switched to the mail-in ballots to avoid all of this. Personally I'd love to see e-balloting work but the only systems secure enough at the moment are ATMs, which would scare more folks than the deibold machines.... even though they'd be pretty damn secure.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jim March has been screaming about Diebold for, what, three years, now? More? Somebody here sneered about him the first time I mentioned him. So far, though, he's been demonstrably been proven correct...

Art

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

bev harris has been on about irregularities since bush/gore, if not before.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Same here, and I think that all voting should be done this way. Didn´t Oregon start this a couple of years ago?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, zim; Jim has worked with Bev Harris on occasion. He gives her great credit for her efforts.

'Rat

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

When? I used to think this was all tin foil hat stuff, but then I saw it first hand living in WA state. There were a lot of discrepancies in the gubernatorial results, so they did a recount, and the (R) won by a lot less than was originally reported. So they did a hand recount, and it turns out the (D) candidate actually won. I still wonder how many of those people had voted for Kerry, and if that could happen in a liberal state, what about the others that were more up in the air.

For the record, Howard Dean showed how easily this could be done a couple of years ago.