Hacked OSX on Intel??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iGav, Aug 23, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

One of the websites I visit, has a user that says they're running a hacked copy of OSX on a PC?? :eek:

Is this or can this be true??

Their post is below...

If it's true, then damn, do I feel violated... :eek:

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

That's pretty big news, indeed, if it's true. Can we get a link or is it on the QT?

I'm guessing from the person's praise of Kazaa that s/he isn't too interested in the fact that it's probably a violation of the OS X licensing agreement to do any de- or re-compile significant enough to run OS X on an x86 platform. (Listen to me! Talking like this person's using a licensed copy of OS X! Sheesh.:rolleyes: )

3. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

It would be just about impossible to take MacOS X that has been compiled for PPC to get it to work on X86 no matter what you would do to it. If by hacked he means he stole it or something then it may be true. Apple can't keep marklar underraps forever...

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

whoever said that is talking out of his ass. there is no way to "hack" osx to work on intel, you would have to have all of the source code, modify it, and recompile it. you'd see it all over the news if somebody had osx working on intel (other than apple). another giveaway is the fact that there is no official kazaa program for osx and osx is not linux. supposedly apple keeps x86 builds of osx for testing, but you'd have a better chance of stealing the space shuttle than getting one out of cupertino.

5. artificiallife macrumors newbie

I think he was referring to the fact he downloaded it from kazaa, and may have mistaken linux for unix. Anyway, yea this is fake.

6. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Yeah. Good call on the Kazaa thing. If he would have said Limewire or Poisoned it would be a lot more believeable.

Even if you could get OSX on an intel machine, it wouldnt be the same experience. Would be just like being back in the beige machine days... ewwww! what an UGLY thought.

7. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Sound like it is just a Linux GUI wrapper that imatates OS X.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just another lie...just like when they say Apple is owned by Microsoft or that you cannot upgrade PowerMacs or that the internet "doesn't work" on Macs, etc. Next, we'll hear about how they've hacked the Pentium 4 and made it into a 64-bit processor that is 2 times faster than a dual G5!

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This is obviously not true...but it is only a matter of time until marklar gets leaked...

10. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Assuming marklar really does exist...

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Either he is admitting to stealing a copy of the source code, or is a liar.

A Mac binary does not run too well on a x86, actually about as well as using a Windows install disk on a PowerMac G5.

Don't think Mac on x86 Linux would work too well, unless someone write a x86-->PPC JIT emulator for PC and hacks the PC bootROM.

12. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

13. xpormac macrumors regular

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It's not likely...it would require access to the original code, lots of compiling, rewriting, and not to mention seriously stomping on the legal rights of Apple.

15. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

yeah righ, your mom..!

his statement is the biggest pile of dog poo ever...

vSpacken

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Apple have seeded free versions of Darwin for x86. So it depends on what you mean about "Mac OS X on x86"....
    Check this out.
    In my opinion Mac OS X is more than Darwin. Mac OS X = Darwin + Aqua.

I don't believe Aqua has ever been ported to Darwin on x86....

17. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Heh. Darwin + Aqua + Quartz + LaunchServices + Finder + PasteBoardServer + SystemUIServer + Dock + etc...

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah this is BS.

A story with no link.

Says they got KaZaA witch doesn't run on Linux or mac. (Well FastTrack does but it aint 'KaZaA')

So total no go.

19. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Ok, guys, first off:

This is possible. Likely? No. But it is *possible*.

Second:

The fact that he mentioned KaZaa doesn't mean anything. His mention of KaZaa isn't in reference to him *using* KaZaa on OS X on his PC. His praise for KaZaa is that he *found* the PC version of OS X on KaZaa.

20. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I think it's more likely he found a PPC emulator for linux (unlikely I know), and then got a copy of OS X off Kazaa and used... what was it called... "Unsupported X" or something? It let you run X on an early G3 PowerBooks and 604-based machines.

Or, even more likely, he's bull****ting.

21. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

He is emulating OS X on x86 hardware

Exactly my thoughts. He mentioned that it was slow and this could be so because his OS X was emulated.

Anyway, if this supposed hacked verion was available in file-sharing circles someone else would have posted pictures allready.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

23. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Just out of curiosity, what does Darwin look like on x86?

24. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Well actually a PPC emulator is possible. I read on www.emulation64.com that there is a GameCube emulator in development that actually runs some home brewed stuff. The GameCube is powered by a PowerPC processor I beleive.