Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe he'd get Apple to do some of the things you currently have to jailbreak to do.
Disregard.
I suck.
More like the opposite?
They won't have to adopt features available to jailbreakers, if jailbreaking is made harder (because of his absence).

Or both.

After all, we are in a quantum, not Aristotelian universe.
But I could be wrong about that.
And I reserve the right to be wrong.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
His twitter picture has been of a blonde haired Draco lookalike. It's ironic that he looks more like Harry Potter.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Anyone who hacks for a living would be stupid to work for the company that makes the very devices he professionally hacks. This would be a huge blow to the jailbreak community.

I am not sure you understand what the word "stupid" means.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
LOL, aww, my last post has a negative rating. I'm sorry, software pirates, did I deeply offend you with my mocking of your sense of entitlement towards illegal behavior?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Wow. Really? If you equate all iOS jailbreaking with software piracy, you deserved the neg.
Wow. Really? If you equate all iOS jailbreaking with legitimate use, you're rather naive. Especially as Apple sees the writing on the wall and legitimately buys up people who create some aftermarket favorites to integrate into the real iOS, there are fewer and fewer genuinely believable excuses for a 'need' to jailbreak anything.

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Wow. Really? If you equate all iOS jailbreaking with legitimate use, you're rather naive.
I didn't. I agree and acknowledge that there's a lot of software piracy happening on iOS, which jailbreaking enables. That was never in dispute. Your prior posts implied that there were no legitimate reasons to jailbreak, only piracy, and that's what I objected to.

Especially as Apple sees the writing on the wall and legitimately buys up people who create some aftermarket favorites to integrate into the real iOS, there are fewer and fewer genuinely believable excuses for a 'need' to jailbreak anything.
There's some writing they let themselves read, and other bits they studiously ignore (at least for the time being, or, in the case of theming, likely until their dying breath). Does that mean that any jailbreak-dependent hacks or alterations should be required to meet some arbitrary "importance threshold" for any jailbreaking to be allowed to take place? I don't think so.

Jailbreaking itself is perfectly legal, as I know you know, and allows what is pretty clearly the overall best mobile OS out there to be improved further in specific areas where people perceive failings. (Apple's philosophy of simplifying user experiences enough for 80% of people, or rather, how far they take that as a practice, doesn't always sit well with the other 20% — should they have to suffer Android just for the sake of a few extra features, or start with the solid foundation of iOS and make up the difference through Cydia?)

It's evident from even a quick glance at your other posts that you're no troll. There's no need to take an absolutist, "us-or-them" stance regarding this subject, either. Granted, piracy is a troubling problem, but it doesn't eclipse the many positive uses of jailbreaking, most of which I would say are "legitimate" despite not being official.

If nothing else, Mr. Allegra and the wider community of jailbreak software developers serve as a means of both keeping Apple honest (to some extent, anyway), and providing Apple with feedback and inspiration on new directions for iOS. If the remaining devs suddenly just gave up for some reason and switched off their Macs, Apple would probably have to depend entirely on Google for those things (and Google, frankly, is behaving like a forum troll).

JustinDaigle

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Wow. As to the last few posts, while whether I use jailbreaking for piracy remains to be said, Apple will never completely remove every reason for jailbreaking.

As a developer (the kind that writes apps, not the kind that pays Apple $99/year for betas), I demand the permanent ability to run the code I write on the devices I paid for, without having to pay Apple a yearly fee for this ability. This is functionality every developer should expect from all of his computing devices. And since the ability to run non Apple-approved (explicitly, in the case of the App Store, or implicitly, in the case of code you sign with a certificate given by Apple) code on your device is half the goal of jailbreaking, I highly doubt Apple will ever allow this.

Skottichan, as you probably have no real computer skill (as you cannot grasp what jailbreaking does and its infinite possibilities), this probably means nothing to you, but to everyone else, who actually does realize the value of jailbreaking, you look really stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.