Hacker? Virus? Unix Maintenance? What is this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nate, Jun 25, 2005.

1. nate macrumors member

Jun 28, 2003
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    I'm on my Powerbook right now, running Tiger, and something strange just happened.

I don't know if this is "normal" or if it's a hacker, virus, or some kind of Unix maintenance. And, I can't seem to find any answers through a google search.

My processor all of a sudden started to work over time, so I checked Activity Monitor.

A process called "Find" was working, user was "nobody."

Afterwards, "Sort" started up, and then "Tr" started up.

I noticed that the blue "%Nice" CPU was up a lot... I have no clue what
    "Nice" means in terms of a CPU.

I was wondering why something was trying to "find" and then "sort" my system, which makes me think that maybe it's a Unix thing, and maybe it's part of Spotlight.

However, it said that the User was "Nobody." Which is strange, because I've never seen a user "Nobody" in any other process that's a system process... I usually see root or my user name.

Anybody know what this is? I'm hoping that it's just a system thing and not someone searching my system.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    I don't think its anything bad

I've seen the nobody user before so its nothing new or made up, like you said it might have something to do with Spotlight

a Nice process is one which uses few processor power and don't take it off any other proccess, so when your no using your computer the nice proccess will use the CPU
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Don't worry. nobody is one of the standard accounts that OS X uses along with ones like daemon etc.

I have a 'nobody' running the mdimport process which is Spotlight indexing.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I remember back when I was young and didn't know much about computers. I met this person online, they gave me their email address, and I tried to email them. I got an email back from MAILER-DAEMON which said "a fatal error has occurred." I thought they were a hacker that was making threats! It scared the crap out of me! haha i'm a little embarrassed to even tell that story now.
  5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002

That's very funny. I'm going to use that one some time.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    That's the weekly job that kicks in to rebuild the database for the locate command (which is kind of redundant now that we have Spotlight, but...). it's normal.
  7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    locate is much more encompassing than Spotlight, since it indexes all those "hidden" files and folders that Spotlight won't touch.

The built-in locate in OS X drives me nuts though, since it doesn't handle case-insensitive searches. Being a recovering Linux geek, I disabled locate and built slocate instead. It's much nicer not to have to remember exactly which letters in a filename are capitalized.
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Will Spotlight index hidden files if you reveal them?
    Even if not, I find it difficult to believe Spotlight couldn't be hacked to index hidden files.
  9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
  10. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Yep, sorry to tell you, but your computer have been hacked, and the hacker installed a virus called "Find" on your computer, which does UNIX maintenance tasks. The only solution is to nuke your computer from orbit.