Hackers and Macs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Jun 2, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I don't know anything about hacking, hackers, or even viruses for that matter but I've just always assumed it was a Windows-only type thing, atleast with the old OS. Did OS X spur any serious hackers to start using Macs to do their dirty work? Just curious, I've always been intrigued by stories of 16 year old kids breaking into a mainframe and making money spit out of ATM machines...and other forms of good old honest fun:p

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Hackers and Macs?

hm, no no attack, but if you want to hack it becomes far easier with Os X .. due to "native " ssh, and other little , nice features :D

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well, anyone stupid enough to leave remote login on and have a very "open
    system can be hacked by anyone else with a mac.

Atleast thats the impression I have recieved from people.

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

well, thats true. but os x , therefore unix / linux is far more secure than m$ winbloze is :D

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Hackers and Macs?

i hope you mean it makes it easier to hack with OS X, and not to hack OS X, because having native SSH etc should contribute to higher security levels in the OS.

OS X has few security issues compared to any windows OS. that's mostly because so many people look for holes in windows, though, rather than that they are really bad security code writers.

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Re: Re: Hackers and Macs?

well yes, what i wanted to say is that hacking with OS X is easier :D hacking Os X is very hard. ..
    true :D