Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipsjk256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2002
Canada
Hello,

I am interested in a small, low-cost PDA with plenty of capacity I was stunned to realise that the iPod largely fit this description. Being able to decode MP3 files, I relised that the proccessor is probably at least the equivalent of a 486 err... 68040. From the spec sheet I was able to calculate that it has about 32MB of memory - plenty for text based applications.

There are two problems:
Apple won't release the specifications, necisarry to allow users to install (and use) their own firmware.
2. the Firewire bus, while superior for the intended uses of the device, makes it difficult to add periferrals such as keyboards, webcams, etc.
My first thought is to port linux, using morse-code as input.

Although I love the ease-of use of apple, I have come
to realise that the company acts much like Microsoft...
only it's smaller market share forces quality.

About Archos Jukebox:
My first though was: "the screen is too small".
The propriatary connector also means that you need to pack extra adapters if you want to do thing like use the superiour screen on your toshiba T1000 (8088) (c1988) laptop as a dumb terminal.
Note that if the battery fails on the juke box, you can use 4 rechargeable AA batteries with an off-the-shelf holder, and appropriate connector.

Thank-you for your time,
-james

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'm sorry to say this but....Are u nutz! :eek:
This is all way overboard, the iPod IS NOT a PDA and never will be. It simply has a few functions to DISPLAY PDA like info.....that's it! No editing!
If you want a PDA, just get a PDA. :rolleyes:

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Welcome to MacRumors! I applaud what you're trying to do, but you're probably on uncharted waters here. The iPod isn't that old of a device, and those who've spent money on it are probably a little wary of modifying it.

However, as the iPod is improved and becomes less and less expensive, I wouldn't be surprised if more people like yourself begin to tap into it's hidden powers. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a portable Linux box + music player. Pay no attention to the unimaginative. The iPod is a PDA, and has the potential to become much, much more.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by tfaz1
The iPod is a PDA, and has the potential to become much, much more.
I'm sorry, but I just can't understand how you can say that it is a PDA :confused:
It has (near) no way of input, the screen is far to small and not touch sensitive, so how can it possibly be a fully fleged PDA?
Of course this is just IMHO, but I still can't see the iPod being any PDA, without adding shed loads of external parts (screen, battery pack, kbd etc)
Originally posted by tfaz1
Pay no attention to the unimaginative.
I am not unimaginative, I like to call it 'realistic'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.