Hacking onto wireless network

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Apr 27, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, check this out. Me and my dad went out driving in my neighborhood tonight, and we took along his 500MHz Pismo (with airport card).

First, we used a program called KisMAC to find networks. We were finding a network every 15 houses or so. Some had WEP enabled, some didnt. (LET ME ADVISE YOU THAT KISMAC MESSES WITH YOUR AIRPORT SETTINGS, AND FORCED US TO REBOOT. USE MACSTUMBLER INSTEAD)

So, we find this network called linksys. So, we set airport to *Join the network with the best signal stregnth*

Were connected. To make sure, we open safari and...bam...were on the web. We go to "Connect to Servers"

Da da....we find OLDPC. We try to connect, and it wants a L/P.

Now I am stuck. Are there any programs that will get me this l/p?

Any suggestions? I know this is wrong, but I am not doing it like crazy. I am just having fun ;)

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

happy wardriving :)

kismac does. :D

kismac rules, you just have to know what you are doing. its never made me reboot my iBook. the latest releases have supposedly fixed alot of those issues as well.

anyways, kismac does break WEP.

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Question

Ok, so i find a network with WEP On.

I highlight it, go to the network tab, go down to crack, and then select full brute force?

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

if it's windows he is using. Probably Is. The default login for windows file sharing is U:guest P:guest. It works like a charm on my college network with is 98 percent PC. Most people don't care to or don't know how to set a password for windows sharing

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

of coarse no one uses the break encryption feature. Just don't hack my network...

That would be illegal.
    psss... talk in code... ;)

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I don't agree with trying to get into somone's computer. Mabey because I have been hacked myself, but there is no need.

If you are dying to see what people have on their computer use limewire and search for .doc files. There is always some people who share their whole hard drive acidentally.

Besides, OLDPC sounds like a honeypot to me... He is probably trying to catch a wardriver. :D

7. garzy macrumors regular

Re: Hacking onto wireless network

where were these houses?

does kismac or macstumbler work with airport extreme?

8. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Currently neither of them state they work with Airport Extreme. I do not have an AE enabled mac to try it on. Why not download it and give it a shot they are both 100% free programs

9. conceptdev macrumors regular

airsnort is supposed to be very effective for this sort of thing

http://airsnort.shmoo.com/

Here are directions to get it working on an apple laptop - requires a Yellow Dog Linux.

http://www.macunix.net:443/ibook.html

This is a really interesting thread. I like to go stumbling a lot.

I would be really interested if people could mention OSX security tools they have found.

10. litosclone macrumors member

I have AE in my 17" PB and macstumbler works just fine. This week was the first time I heard of such a program, so I downloaded it and gave it a try. Macstumbler found a wireless server by my work. I used airport assistant to set me up and I was hooked up to thier network.

11. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

well ... i use the neighbors bandwidth here. linksys / covad and damn good and fast especially when i dl music at 150 k ... ;)

12. garzy macrumors regular

hahahaha

do they know your doing this?