"Hacking" OS X 'About This Mac'

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Computer_Phreak, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Ok, this started because I needed to install QT 6 on 10.2. I stupidly deleted it because somethings were not working correctly

Anyway, I edited the 'SystemVersion.plist' file and figured out that I could easily change the OS X version and build numbers.

So, I was wondering if it was possible to "hack" the Memory: and Processor: values in the 'About this Mac' window.

Thanks, CP

Attached Files:

• osx.jpg
      osx.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Computer_Phreak thread starter macrumors 6502

4. big macrumors 65816

big

I've seen that already... been meaning to post it and show how you how you could do it...sorry so late, now its like "yeah right BIG" after the fact though.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Easy, bigman. :)

Phreak, are you using ResEdit to edit these files? If you are, make sure you know what you are doing, or you could easily f*** up your computer.

You mentioned the file 'SystemVersion.plist'. Is there some sort of 'SystemMemory.plist' or 'Memory.plist' file that can operate the same way? I'm not saying you should use ResEdit (or whatever) with it, but there might be that file there somewhere.

6. Computer_Phreak thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm using Pico via the terminal.

I have already checked; the file is:
    /system/library/core services/SystemVersion.plist

I have already looked at all of the other files in that folder, none contains the memory or processor information.

I suspect that the OS somehow identifies the hardware, but then it would make sense to save that information in a file so that the OS wouldn't have to identify the processor and memory each time that information is needed.

EDIT: Oh, by the way I also edited some dock options.. next post.

7. Computer_Phreak thread starter macrumors 6502

See last post.

Attached Files: