Hacking the Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In a recent test by Maryland the eletronic voting machines used there were easily hacked and results changed.

New York Times

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Wasn't that the general consensus, back last summer/fall when we kicked this subject around?

"If it can be hacked, it will be hacked."

'Rat

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Where's our democracy heading if we can't count the votes like in '00 and now our votes can be easily hacked by anyone? Scary...

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Isn't it the data transmission via phone lines which can be hacked? So, counties can collect the data from the voting precincts, and then the central office can phone each county and get the results. Or, the counties could FAX in their results.

Slowness of vote count has long been in the physical counting at the precinct level, and the slowness in getting those results to the county level.

Regardless, it oughta be easy enough for each precinct and each county to print out a hardcopy of their results for later comparison.

'Rat

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm all for paper ballots and hand counting at this point.

There's enough anti-counterfeit technology out there for good ol' paper to make cheating very difficult.

Windows, on the other hand seems designed for failure.

Why are we basing the most important part of our society on a product from a company that has shown us nothing but failure?

Why are they pushing this forward despite the consistent failure of the system security? Wouldn't you think that a first whiff of trouble they'd scrap it and go back to the drawing board? No! They just patch it and soldier on... ugh.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Apropos of nothing at all, pseudobrit, I generally don't pay attention to the mouthings of aristocrats, whether self-styled or so-labelled by others. But I've long been strongly in accord with the thought expressed in your signature line.

:D, 'Rat

7. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/7849090.htm

via http://atrios.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_atrios_archive.html#107568709959781905

8. diamond geezer macrumors regular

People say that you cant use the old paper and marker pen ballots, because they take to long to count.

Why does that matter? I'd rather have a vote that take 2 days to count, but gets the result right.

Is it a problem for TV networks programming that is forcing this requirement for speed?

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

how can building a voting machine be that frickin difficult? i could write a simple program in q-basic in half an hour that would count votes and print out totals. it could be checked for tampering in about two minutes. how much money are we spending on these morons?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh. i guess you've never coded for a government project. some of the things i've seen...

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

DG, when you see what TV money has done to (for?) football and car racing, why wouldn't political conventions and voting not be drawn into the whirlpool? (My river guide buddies tend to call a whirlpool a "suckhole"--which seems apropos...)

'Rat

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I would rather that voting is via the old tried-and-tested method of paper and pen.

I would not be averse to have election day coincide with income tax return day. Or, if the need arises, split income tax return day into 4 days each quarter. So you could have primaries, general and special elections at set times during the year.

Not only will votes be counted, but money would be collected as well.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, accuracy is more important than expediency

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not a bad idea. I say go further and make Election Day a federal holiday.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

when i had my company, we allowed employees to charge in up to 4 hours to vote

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Good idea.

Make election day / income tax days be
    Jan 19th (MLKjr day)
    July 4th (Independence day)
    Sept 6th (Labor day)

3 possible primary/general election days... you get to meet your fellow citizens during the federal holiday as you mail in your income taxes

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But I thought the 4th and Labor Day were for partyin' and drinkin' and watchin' sports! Who's gonna want to do their taxes or vote in that condition? :p