Hadda Share: First New Car in 10 Years! Woo Hoo!

Discussion in 'Community' started by patrick0brien, Nov 4, 2004.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

I don't want to seem like I am showing off or anything. Some of you had expressed interest - and I'm so gosh-darned excited that I hit a long term goal, getting the car I had set my sights on. Goal reached.

It feels so good to say that.

Oh, and the car is fun too ;) (2004 330ci)

Daddy like.

Here's a pic from Sundays drive.

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's a beauty, the current 3 series (like the previous 5) is a proven master piece...and you got a 330i too...brm, brm!!!

Congrats :cool:

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Congratulations - that's a sweet ride, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. I have to admit I'm jealous. My last car purchase was not nearly as exciting - a 2004 Nissan Quest SE. Minivan. Ah, well, two young kids, two dogs, what do you do?

Anyway, enjoy the open road!

4. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Congratulations-german cars have a very solid ride.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

bravo

excellent choice... my dad looked long and hard at a 330xi... in the end he got something different though, nevertheless, excellent choice.

if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

6. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

If I had to guess...

Hitachi GST's Intranet Project Manager

Patrick-

Seriously nice choice. I love it and congrats on reaching a personal goal.

What goals are next? House? Family?

7. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-edesignuk

Thank you very much. It's been a long time coming - and I so appreciate having my expectations exceeded. I have to remind myself to not stress the engine too much with it being as young as it is.

And yes, I had to have this model before Chris Bangle screws it up. Having the hoodlin going through the upp reaches of the kidneys and other tweaks, I'm afraid that BMW's are starting to remind me of Pontiacs.

And I won't even go into the infernal iDrive thing - I want to FEEL the fragging buttons, not have to look at a little screen.

And with the options I got with the thing, yes the eshaust has a nice little growl to it. :D (brrrrrrrouuuuaaaaah!)

-rickvanr

To answer your question, I run Hitachi GST's Intranet (makers of the iPod Mini's HDs). <silly radio voice> "That and more, available in my profile!" </silly radio voice>

Thanks all for the replies here, and understanding. I bought this car for me, not anybody else.

PS I can't wait to see what iGAV has to say about this. :D

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the 3 series are very nice. my mum is on her 3rd at the moment and she hasnt had a problem with any of them. it should serve you well (and also go like a rocket!!!!)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good deal. Looks like a fun ride. Sometimes I wish a car was a practical choice for me, being on the down-low certainly has it up sides.

Congratulations on your new toy.

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

yeah.... poke fun at me... i can take it....

seriously... with a job like that... why didn't you go for a 7 series? or an M3?

11. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-rickvanr

Well, you walked right into it. High-five to monkeydo_jb :D

Why? Well, first off, this is that car I wanted, ha the interior I wanted, the transmission I wanted. Sure the M# is powerful as heck, but it limits options - I couldn't get my Myrtle trim for ecample. That, and I don't see the benefit of the M above the 330ci for the money I'd be spending (car, insurance, gas).

As for why not the 7? I find it not so pretty, has the iDrive thing, and I wanted two doors.

12. makisushi macrumors 6502

Nice choice Pat O.

German cars are the only way to go...unless you want a Hummer.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Nice car, my friend has one that is only months old.

Keep in mind though, if you got the sport package it may have come with Summer Tires (Performance ones). Be careful in the rain, it doesn't rain often in SoCal but it did a lot in October, he was coming home and aquaplaned into a divider. Just about everyone who has ridden in the car were fighting the tears...

14. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Congratulations! Good to be around well established folks :)

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Nice car, but is it a stick shift?
    My dad got a 3.25i with a manuel tranny, its a sweet car to drive!
    BMW's kick ass.
    Have fun with your new car:)

16. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Macmaniac

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I hate to disappoint, but no. It's the Steptronic Automatic. Which was one of my have-to-have options.

My last car (the one I had for 10 years) was stick. And it had a good run, and I wanted to move on. Then I moved out here, and that only added to the impetus.

Ever drive over Russian Hill in San Francisco with a stick?

Don't.

Anyway the Steptronic does, however have three modes, and one is manual slapstick, so I can kinda do that.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sweet ride. "When I grow up," I wouldn't just get the most expensive car I could afford, either. Just get what you want. That's what money gives you.....options. The 3-series has always appeared the nicest to me as well. :)

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Very true, stick has its pluses, but on hills its a real pain, and in heavy traffic it can drive you mad.
    Steptronic is a good compromise, automatic for hills and traffic, manuel mode for fast accelerating high way driving:)
    I want a beamer when I grow up:)

19. Drewswa77 macrumors member

BMW 3 and 5 series drivers seem to think they own the road worse then any set of car owners. In my expirience

20. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Such a lovely car, I hope to have one myself someday. A white 330ci manual trans with tan interior....mmmmmmm. Outstanding choice you have made!

-Drew

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Congrats on the Bimmer!

I had a 2001 328i, it was an amazing car.

And to the poster above, in my huble opinion SUV drivers (for the most part) are the worst about thinking they own the road.

Enjoy that car Patrick!

:)

22. iGav macrumors G3

Well bend me over and call me Barbara... I must be getting a bit of a reputation!! :eek: :p :p

Congratulations on the car sir, a fine choice... ;) If I lived in your city I'd run it in for you and get you your official, and indeed industry respected iGav Performance Figures for it! :D

I bet it smells nice as well!! ;) :eek: :D

23. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Nahhh that is just an urban legend. Maxima drivers are far worse...

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Plenty of times! It's not so bad, your calf gets a good workout. I uesd to cruise around SF in a '75 VW bus. Manual tranny with minimal power no less. Plus I'd have to drive it over Hwy 17 to get there.

I hear driving SF with a manual transmission builds character. :p

25. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mactastic

And leg asymmetry:D It was a challenge, but really didn't enjoy it - always a bit scary. as Cosby says "By the time you get off the clutch you would have drifted into the bay".

-Drewswa77

We do! Muuuuuaaaahahahahahaha! Already corrupted!

Seriously though, was that comment really all that necessary? I've never found a pattern like you decribe.