Haditha

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jun 20, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5098634.stm

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I still don't think anyone is going to blame the troops in general for this. People are able to distinguish between the people who did this, the people who allowed this to happen, and the rest of the vast majority of the uniformed men and women who serve honorably.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's amazing how hollow the phrase "support the troops" has become lately. is there anything behind those words?

i'm not forgiving or excusing their actions, but the article makes it seem like it's impossible for a soldier in that unit to be a professional.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

ooooh...there's a future for the war in Iraq?

There are a lot of depressing things to be gleaned from the allegations stemming from Haditha and other areas - but what I find most troubling, is that from a pragmatic standpoint, this can only make the US forces less likely to succeed.

By this I mean not so much that they have squandered goodwill with local Iraqis (which they must have), but that the attention that these situatins have garnered domestically and internationally, will most likely lead to increased Political meddling and top-heavy bureaucratic wrangling in the military command structure - which is probably the last thing we need.

Historically, what successes the US (and others) have had fighting a guerilla insurgency, has come from a more lateral command-structure, where much of the operational control is in the hands of Captains and below - which seems unlikely to happen considering the press, the problems and an Election year.

I guess the future is now, sadly.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't blame the troops either necessarily. I blame those who put them there. The terrorists too, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do this, and the higher ups in this country did everything wrong.

I am pretty angry that these particular troops decided to become what they're supposed to be fighting against, and I'm not excusing their behavior, but I'm not at all surprised given the circumstances.