Haha. Go Apple, boo Microsoft

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blueflame, Dec 5, 2005.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's not like OS X doesn't require reboots during updates, though it's usually been kinder in that regard compared to Windows XP.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry, but why is this important? It's not as if similar conditions on different operating systems don't have similar restrictions.

How many times have people had to restart because they installed an iTunes update? If iTunes is merely an application and not part of the operating system, why restart? (I know the answer but from the average user's standpoint, does it make sense?)

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I can't ever remember restarting from an iTunes update. The only time I ever have to restart is for an OS update or one of those security updates. Any other kind of app update never needs a restart for me.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can see where this would be a good thing. Hopefully this works for uninstalls as well as installs. It absolutely pisses me off when I try to uninstall something meaningless and I am asked to reboot my machine. There are some programs that it is ok, they give me the option to reboot now, or reboot later. But there are also programs that only have an OK button, saying "Press OK to reboot your computer". So I have to do one of 2 things. Save everything and shut down, which isnt always convenient, or I ignore the message and leave it in the background till I'm done. If MS can find a way to cut down on some of the reboots, then I say more power to them.

7. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Every once in a while I like rebooting my computer. I feel like everything has been kind of cleaned up.

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I wonder if this cant be done with native (Mach-O) apps and services with a combination of mach_override and mach_inject, each running app can have its executable code replaced at runtime? Therefore absolutely zero restarts are needed...

The technology may have been there all along... (?)

9. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I cant wait till Microsoft collapses under its own weight.
    That article, made me think "oh gosh, would you please just go away already"

10. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

If I'm working, which is usually why I have my mac switched on, and a SOFTWARE UPDATE pops up....

I un-check the items that need a restart, and if there's actually anything there that I need, just run the updater on those items later in the evening before I shut down my mac anyway, so I'm not losing any time or effort...

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I don't see what the big deal is. Most updates (system, Airport, security updates, etc) require restarts in Mac OS X. A great number do in Windows XP. For me, it's such a rare occasion that I don't really give a toss about the occasional restart anyway. But this article shows that Microsoft is trying to do something about it. So surely that's Microsoft 1, Apple 0?

:confused:

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's the QuickTime updates that often go hand in hand with new iTunes versions that frequently require reboots.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

all computers need a reboot occasionally. Macs included. Sounds like an interesting and trailblazing concept which is rare for Microsoft. Unfortunately for them it will be just as buggy as the rest of the OS.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, the "reboot issue." I didn't know it was an "issue."

Anyway, that sounds great if it works. I'll have to check out Vista when it comes out.