hahaha, NTL (UK cable) in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Sep 27, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full article.

Since I find this more funny than anything, I thought community would be better than current events :D

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Isn't it weird how the English (massive generalisation, I know) will put up with such bad service from some of their biggest companies/organisations?

Is it the... 'don't you know we're at war, mustn't grumble' sort of attitude?
    A sort-of passive compliance in the face of such overwhelming bureaucracy?

'Don't raise your voice – somebody might hear...'

I don't know... lived here for 15 years and I'm still amazed that people put up with such crap.

3. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Nothing would surprise me when NTL are involved they are the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. It is particularly annoying as it is so difficult to leave them, after you finally get through to them after hours on hold and them hanging up on you, they say your contract has been cancelled but keep sending you bills, so you have to go through the smae process over and over.

Complaining is absolutely no use at all, the managers dont care anymore than the basic customer service staff.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

5. VincentVega macrumors regular

I'm not sure where it comes from, to be honest. I don't think the war has anything to do with it. Perhaps we're so used to everything being hopeless that we passively accept it or just don't think that complaining will help or make things better. It's an interesting question: I have no idea what the reasons are behind it.

I think the stereotype is pretty accurate, nevertheless. I was at my local BMW dealer this afternoon wanting to test drive a 1 series. For some reason there was a delay. On being told this, I just said, "Okay, no problem" and read a newspaper until they got me a car ready to drive. Didn't make a fuss, didn't see the point, really. They probably weren't going to go any quicker if I made a scene.

Incidentally, it's a very nice car... :)

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

There's no point in arguing with a recording.....

However, kicking the front door of NTL's office in London open and dumping the 3 useless cable boxes onto the reception with a terse "I believe this sh*t belongs to you" yielded a new box and a 6 month discount pretty damn quick. :D

All companies respond to a little personal attention, especially if they think you aren't going away in a hurry, the average call centre drone doesn't give a monkey's cos he knows he won't have to deal with you face to face. Make it personal, hunt the b*st*rds down...

NTL are the worst, but Apple can be pretty bad, and you have to go to bloody Ireland if you want to practice your impact management techniques.

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is FANTASTIC!

[​IMG]

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It feels good to be appreciated in your own country.... :D :D

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hello. You are through to NTL customer services. We don't give a **** about you. We are never here. We just will **** you about, basically, and we are not going to handle any of your complaints. Just **** off and leave us alone. Get a life.

Courtesy of The Register. :)

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Classic, thanks Nermal. And WinterMute, I only wish i was there to witness that scene! :eek: :D

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I get a bit annoyed occasionally, remind me to tell you about my mums microwave and Dixons sometime.... :D ;)

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

NOTE TO WinterMute: Post new thread in community telling us all about your mums microwave.

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Tell me now, tell me now!! :p

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ok, it's a sordid tale though....

Mum bought a microwave from Dixons, it didn't work, everything whirred but nothing got hot, she called the helpline and they we're very rude and condescending (mum's got a master's degree) but wouldn't accept it was bust, she called the shop and talked to the salesman who, to be fair was OK and nice to her, but wouldn't exchange it as "it seems to work fine" and "you've got a warranty why don't you call the engineer out?".

She called me instead...

I tricked the door interlock so it'd run with the door open, took it back to the shop, plugged it in on the main counter and put my head in it for five minutes...

We left with a new microwave.

I was going to stick the salesman's head in it, but I would have had to rough him up a bit and he was polite to my mum... :D

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just as well it didn't decide to kick in to life! :eek:

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had a SKY satellite system that stopped working when the large horse chestnut tree outside my home grew leaves in the Spring.

Customer services first suggested that it wasn't the engineer's fault since when he'd installed it in October, there were no leaves and SKY couldn't be expected to foresee the future. When I pointed out that it was a 60 foot horsechestnut that he could hardly have missed and it would have been more unusual for it to NOT grow leaves, they then suggested cutting down the 60 foot tree.... uh, no!

Eventually an email to the CEO resulted in two engineers being sent from Norwich to London to climb up to the roof and re-install the dish on the chimney (above the tree line). Very nice chaps once they realised that I wasn't a corporate bigwig pulling strings to get their 'CEO-stamped job sheet' but an ordinary customer.

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ahhh, but it did, that's why I spend so much time posting on MacRumors... ;)