Hahaha- Take That T-Mobile!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by idkew, Oct 28, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    So, I have a Sony Ericsson P800 with Bluetooth and a TiBook with a Bluetooth Adapter. I also have unlimited T-Zones with T-Mobile.

So I was sitting here thinking, "Why can't I use my unlimited T-Zones to wirelessly surf the web with my TiBook (MyTai), not just my phone?" So, I go to set this up, using my GPRS connection and I need a Username, Password, and a CID. I have no idea so I call up T-Mobile. They tell me that I need a different plan, T-Zones is only for web acces via the phone, not a computer. They wanted me to get an $20 a month plan instead of $10. Sure buddy. Uh Huh. Good bye.

So, I am not deterred. I start looking at esato and I find an thread on what I need. It, unfortunately, is for setting up the Unlimited Internet, not T-Zones. Well, I put 2 and 2 together, change the dialup number from internet2.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com and get rid of the proxy address he had. I download the GPRS Modem Strings from here, and I am on my way.

I now have unlimited GPRS internet access at HALF the price. ;)

So take that T-Mobile. Gotta love surfing the web on your TiBook ANYWHERE. Not just hotspots for WiFi, anywhere on a GSM network.

So, if anyone needs help with this, let me know. Just PM me. This should work with any T-Mobile Bluetooth Phone.

**If a T-Mobile representative is reading this- it is all a lie.**

[edit] now you can do this for free, but you will lose pop or imap email access. the plan with email is now $4 a month. [/edit]

2. beefcake macrumors 6502

So you get unlimited internet access from your TiBook for $10 a month? Or is this in addition to a jacked up cell phone plan?

3. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

4. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

On top of my $39.99 plan.

600 anytime.

Free nights and weekends.

No contract ever.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I havn't checked my speeds out. This is DEFINITELY NOT my regular connection. When at home I am connected to the world via a cable modem and Airport V2. This is just for when I am out and about.

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

tell me when you find one unlimited for 10 $. so far im fine with t-mobile, and airport with dsl

6. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

huh?

anyway- i did not get the unlimited t-mobile for my laptop. i got it for my p800. i can surf the web via html on the phone. instant message. check my email... everything a full size conputer can do.

this is just a little plus.

i must also add. i have no land line phone. only my cell phone. i spend less for a cell phone than what a landline would cost me, especially with all the long distance calls i make.

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You never answer the question on how fast you're surfing w/ the cell phone. 14K?

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I normally get around 48k download from my phone. Although it seems slower than that, but that's what I get from the dsl reports speed test.

Oh, and my phone is a T68i on T-Mobile.

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

have you tried downloading something and watching its speed? those speed tests are notoriously inaccurate.

i just tried downloading a file from apple, and i got about 4k/sec. nothing to celebrate about, but it is better than 0k/sec when I am away from a hot spot.

10. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Ok, according to this speed test:

Storage Results:
    •185kb/sec over my Airport
    •3.5kb/sec over GPRS and Bluetooth

Communications Results:
    •1.9mb/sec over my Airport
    •28.5kb/sec over GPRS and Bluetooth

humm... what the difference is, i don't know. i do know that the 185 and 3.5 numbers sound closer to the truth.

11. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

I usually get 6-8k/s downloads through Safari on my Powerbook with my T-Mobile T68i (soon to be T610)

12. Nutella macrumors member

Okay, if someone doesn't mind translating the above into English :) as I'm a bit technologically challenged.

Plan to get an ibook or powerbook with bluetooth.
    I have a sony ericsson t68i phone, currently on the tmobile 39.99 plan (600 anytime, free nights/weekends). Actually I'd like to switch to the 29.99 plan, or maybe Cingular, when my contract is up at the end of the year.
    Would like to get rid of my land line.

So, can I do something-or-other that was described above, and dial in on my cell phone to connect to the internet? Thanks for any help!!

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

nice job, come back and confirm this after your next phone bill just to make suer :)

iJon

14. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

LOL, u bro may get a bill for this whole thing. I've heard cases when people try to outsmart companies like this and do it but then get like 500 bucks bill at the end of the month.

Cheers.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I had the unlimited data plan for $10 for 2 months and used it through my computer and didn't get charged any extra, though now I switched it back to the $2 one, since I was not using it enough.

16. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

go online and add the unlimited t-mobile plan for $9.99.

run bluetooth setup and say you want a data connection added to your phone profile. this is the easy way to get your new network preferences set up. (make your phone discoverable)

change the settings as i have said above and download the gprs strings from the link i put above. select CID1 as your string at first, 2 or 3 if it doesn't work.

open up internet connect and connect via bluetooth.

17. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Was that a typo?

Or are you suggesting that someone's getting a court summons for telecom use contrary to their user agreement?;)

18. Nutella macrumors member

Thanks idkew!

One more question, do I need to keep my monthy internet dial up service (i.e. earthlink)? Told ya I don't understand this stuff :confused:

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

typo, sorry.

iJon

20. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

No need to apologize -- I just thought that the alternate spelling could be a propos, given then nature of the topic.:)

21. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

this only gets you between 3kb/second and 6kb/second download speed.

this is SLOWER than a dailup modem. this is only meant for connecting to the internet when you are out and about with your cell phone, NOT as your main connection.

22. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

UPDATE- T-Mobile Unlimited Internet is now $4 a month.

23. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Wow...cheap, if you buy their phones, contract plans, etc.

!!!100 Posts!!! (About time)

24. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I love T-Mobile, and T-Zones rock. I work at home and don't leave enough or leave and work so I just use the T-Zones. I've seen something like this mentioned at MacNN a few months back.