Hail to the Thief

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Apr 6, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Hey guys; thought i would start a thread for people who've had a chance to listen to the "pre-release" of this upcoming Radiohead album. what is your favorite song on it so far? what do you think of the flow of the album as it is now? how does it stack up to radiohead's previous 5 albums,
    Pablo Honey,
    The Bends,
    OK, Computer,
    Kid A,
    Amnesiac?

personally, i think it will be among their best. Myxomatosis is my current favorite; i play it really loud in my new car (which has a badass sound system that i didn't even have installed, ha!), and it rocks.

comments!

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

well radiohead is definitely king in the current music scene as far as i am concerned

now when i first listened to these early mixes i thought wow there pretty good, it didn't kick me in the balls (in a good way) like amnesiac did...but then amnesiac kinda faded away after awhile, however ok computer...my favorite, i didn't love and worship right away, and it just keeps getting better.

well this is what these mixes have been doing... the first time i listened they were really good, now they are fantastic, and by the time the album actually comes out i'll go on a buying frenzy and thank the world that such musicians exist. only time will tell...but it could end up being one of my favorite radiohead albums.

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i like your point about how their very best stuff doesn't strike you as incredible at first; it sinks in. OK computer is definitely like that, whereas i had that same feeling about amnesiac. it got me into radiohead, but i don't like it as much anymore as i used to. it's still great, but not as good as OK computer in the long run.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ah Radiohead...the Pink Floyd of our generation...

I haven't had the pleasure of sampling the new stuff yet. Believe me, I will get it once it's available though.

Although, I'm quite partial to Kid A mostly. ;)

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yes, sorry, i would have responded faster but my email is spontaneously down so i have to be proactive in checking responses.

7. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I've had them for a few days now, and I really think this is their best CD. "Wolf At The Door" is frickin fantabulous, I love that song.

But I agree with you guys, I didn't like it much at first. I thought it was good, but not great. Now I think it's their best.

So many good CD's coming out this year though.

It's gonna be a good year for music, movies, video games, and Apple. :)

any other CD's you guys are waiting for?

enoch

8. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

can't think of anything else i am really waiting for, but what other bands have CDs coming out you are looking forward to?

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I've had it for about a week now, and I have to say that it's insanely good. I was glad to hear a little more guitar seep back into their work, but not so much so that it looses the feel of their recent albums. It's still quite dark, which I like. Overall, I think it'll be remembered as one of their better works. Still, how do you possibly rank their albums. I'd have to say that, overall, The Bends is my favorite, followed by Kid A, then OK Computer, Amnesiac, and Pablo Honey. As for where this album ranks it's hard to say. It's definitely in the top two. As for favorite tracks, it's currently a four way toss up between Go To Sleep, Where I End and You Begin, Myxomatosis, and Wolf At The Door.

I agree with what howard said, too. Their better work tends to grow on you as opposed to just grabbing you right at the outset. Kid A and Amnesiac both did that for me. I knew they were really really good immediately, but it took me a while to actually decide wether or not I actually liked it. This album has been the same way, but the verdict is in and it's brilliant.

I'm listening to it right now, and I'll be damned if they aren't just great! :D

10. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

There's rumor of a new U2 project, so that'll be nice. :)

11. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

The new Marilyn Manson album comes out next month. Nine Inch Nails should have a new album coming out later this year. I heard Bowie is gonna have another album, possibly coming out this year. The Cure supposedly have another album coming out this year. hmmm......who else.

None that I can think of right off hand, but two bands I wish would release more CD's ASAP would be Rasputina and Portishead. Portishead hasn't released anything since 98, and Rasputina had a new CD out last year, but I just love them so damn much I want another one already. :) hehe

enoch

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

the album already has 30 plays in my count. i like your top 4 song list. i would agree but switch "Go to Sleep" with "The Gloaming" and "Backdrifts." i think the gloaming i may like less later, as it is rather repetive, but it sounds really great to me now.

i am surprised you like the bends best, but i guess it is the best if you prefer their guitar work.

13. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey guy with the bigass binary looking name, I didn't know NIN had a new album in the works. I'll keep an eye out for that. New Bowie material is always welcome. :)

Shadow, I think you are absolutely right about the quality of The Gloaming and Backdrifts. The latter is a really incredible effort. I keep getting more and more impressed with it the more I listen to it. Just amazing.

As for The Bends being my favorite, well I guess it's partially the guitar. It's just so damn good, man. It's got some of my favorite songwriting, too. Tracks like Black Star, Sulk, My Iron Lung, and How Can You Be Sure (Japanese import B-side) are all so amazingly well conceived and well executed that it's hard for me to not fall in love with it all over again every time I listen to the album. But like I said, it's near impossible to rank their albums. I like different albums more than others every day. I guess it's just a matter of what I'm in the mood for. :)

14. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

"My Iron Lung" and the song "The Bends" are definitely two songs that are high up on my list of radiohead favorites. I just think that as an album on the whole it doesn't fit together as well as many of their others, of the which i think OK computer has the most overall continuity. that's all very subjective though, i freely admit :)

"this far
    but no farther"

are probably my favorite lines in Backdrifts. the lyrics are so well constructed:

15. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I'm just assuming the NIN CD will be out later this year. A month or so ago, Trent posted a message on the nin.com board that said something like "New NIN news coming soon!!" or something to that effect.

And from what I've heard, it's supposed to be more retro/hard/industrial/electronic sounding.

It'll be good though, whatever it is. I'm just sick of waiting 5 years in between each CD.

Pretty Hate Machine to The Downward Spiral. 5 years.

The Downward Spiral to The Fragile. 5 years.

The Fragile to the new album. 4, going on 5 years.

But, the good thing is, each album is pretty much a masterpiece, so I suppose it's ultimately worth the wait. :)

As for Bowie, I just wish he'd make an "Outside 2" album like he said he was thinking of doing at one point. That album is definately one of my favs. I lost my copy a couple years ago though, and now I can't find it anywhere. No CD stores around here have it, I can't order it because I have no credit card, and nobody on gnutella or kazaa or mldonkey seem to have it. :(

enoch

16. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Shadow,
    OK Computer is definitely their most coherent album to date. It's got a real unity that the others don't quite seem to have. As for the lyrics of Backdrifts, they're simply magnificent. I cannot say enough about the skill that it must have taken to craft such a solid song.

Binary Guy,
    I'll definitely be looking out for a new NIN album, as it is about damn time for something to be released. You're dead on about Bowie. Some sort of Outside 2 would be a gem. He's proven consistently innovative for almost a quarter century, and I have no reason to believe he'll stop any time soon.

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I think I'm going to have to change my name to hailtothethief1984, Its fast becoming my favoruite album and it is not even finished yet.

I have been downloading live versions for a while now so I know all the songs, hell I have even learned to play "there there", "I will" on my guitar. I iwll is one of my favourites and punch up at a wedding too, listen to thom's vocals in the second verse, i think there's mroe passion and emotion than in any of his previous recordings, it sends a shiver down my spine every time. I'm really pissed that I'm not goin gto see them live this year, anyone wanna give me some glastonbury tickets? they're £800 on ebay.!

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Thought I'd post some of the bands reactions to the leaked recordings: from greenplastic.com

As a musician I agree with them, its not nice having people hear your stuff when you don't feel its ready, but I still had to download it out of curiosity, and as fellow musician I can understand that its not finished and so not judge it as such, but f*ck me, when the final release is out it will blow us all away! :D

19. adamcoop macrumors regular

I'm hanging out for the new Goldfrapp album - the last one has been one of my favs since I first heard it.

I found live recordings of the complete "Hail To The Thief" set. Like any Radiohead album, I'll need to listen to it a few more times, but this has been the case with most of my favourite albums - actually, some of my favourites I hated the first time I heard them (Wilco's Being There, Drop City's This Heavenly Machine), only to pick them up 6 months later and love them.

It will also be interesting to hear polished, studio versions of the Hail To The Thief songs.

20. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes i'm definitely waiting for a new NIN album. I know he's been working on it and wants to get it ready for a "fall release" but then he said "i don't know which year" this was a year ago when the live disc and still came out.

you guys have any more info about the new nin disc coming out?

21. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

haven't heard any of the new stuff, and I'm on the road all week. I think my hotel tonight has a wi-fi network, so I'll have to check. Where are the files available?

Love The Bends. Love Kid A. Amensiac was fine. Pablo Honey is unremarkable. OK Computer is one of the two or three best albums of the 90's.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

did you wipe your ass?

pablo honey? did you wipe your ass?

000111one111000: still hanging around the nin rings eh? is there a nin con this year? i haven't been around in ages...

too bad i didn't wait to hear the unfinished tracks until after the official release. oh well.

btw- is "I Will" really the backwards song in "like spinning plates"?

peace.

23. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Radiohead is one of the most talented bands I have ever heard. I've been a fan ever since Pablo Honey came out, and I can't believe how much better each album gets. I have this fear that their next album won't be as good as the last, but once I pop in the CD, I am always blown away.

I haven't heard any songs from Hail To The Thief (I think it's wrong to use P2P services, and I would much rather hear the final mixes), and I don't plan on listening to any until I purchase the CD the day it comes out.

I love running to my favorite music store (Ear X-Tacy if anyone is from the Louisville, KY area), purchasing the CD, browsing through the stunning artwork that grazes the packaging, and popping that baby into my CD player. I can't wait!

As an added bonus, I'm studying abroad in the UK in the fall. I hope to catch them in concert sometime. I've never gotten to see them perform live.

Glad to see there are so many Radiohead fans here!

24. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

You'll be lucky to catch em live in the UK this year, their tour sould out in 12 hours.

The tickets are on ebay for almost as much as glastonbury tickets.

They are announcing gigs in the US tho.

25. anneleonard macrumors regular

dragged this thread up from the depths

to boast that me and mrjamin (my boyf) are going to see radiohead 26th november, earl's court, london - standing tickets, baby!!:D they sold out in just a couple of hours!