Hair Care Products

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Oct 20, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

This is a thread for, obviously, shampoos, conditioners, and other hair care products…

I have always had trouble finding a shampoo/conditioner I enjoy. The closest I have gotten to my ideal shampoo is ‘Crew’ (a men’s shampoo). Usually shampoos either make my hair feel rubbery (like each strand of hair was a really thin rubber band) or the shampoo feels like it never comes out of my hair, leaving a slimy residue in my hair.

What shampoos work best on your hair?

By the way, before people start recommending things to me
    • I don’t like shampoos/conditioners that you are supposed to leave in your hair for 30+ seconds. That is just annoying.
    • I don’t like shampoos/conditioners that smell bad. (For example the tea tree oil smelling ones ;))

scem0

2. vniow macrumors G4

I like Suave and Pantene-Pro-V myself, both smell nice and keep it relatively soft (if not still frizzy, bah) That Herbal Essence stuff (think shampoo-induced orgasm commercial) is supposed to be pretty good to although I haven't tried it.

Speaking of which, anyone know of good products which are anti-frizz and help your hair to be straight at the same time? Mine's somewhat curly (I hate it) and whenever I try to straighten it with my straightening iron it gets all frizzy and anti-frizz gel doesn't do everything, any suggestions?

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

From my experiences:

suave - blah. I dont think I like suave.

Pantene - the commercials with the 'candid' woman with the annoying-ass laugh annoy me to my core, yet they make good shampoo/conditioner. But the reason I don't use Pantene is because the conditioner tends to stay in your hair (creating the slimy residue I mentioned in the first post).

Herbal Essences - I like herbal essences. I can't say that it is so good that it is orgasmic, but I think it washes out easily without creating a rubbery or slimy feeling. Smells great IMO. I got a sample packet of the Hawafena (that's what its called right?) conditioner and I liked it.

If I was to buy more shampoo and conditioner right now I'd probably either get Herbel Essences or Crew.

I am not knowledgable on anti-frizz products im afraid. I try to keep my hair from growing long enough to where that is an issue.

scem0

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I use Herbal Essences for my shampoo needs since it smells really nice and leaves my hair feeling soft and clean. You can't beat that, even if it is supposed to be a girl's shampoo. Now, if it would be good enough to induce orgasm, that would just be spiffy.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

For awhile, I used Suave Naturals shampoo and conditioner and really liked it (REALLY soft hair), but once those ran out I went back to the generic Pert knock off that the rest of my family uses. It does the job, if nothing else. My hair's pretty soft as it is, but gets oily rather quickly. I usually take showers in the evening before bed, and sometimes it'll be oily again when I wake up! :mad:

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

heh, i use V05 shampoo, and a suave shampoo + conditioner after that. i can't stand a normal conditioner, it's too hard to get out of my hair for me. the shampoo+conditioner makes it a bit easier. my hair has never seemed overly reponsive to different kinds of shampoo, so i just use whatever is cheap...

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

Try a pomade. It comes in little jars. Crew makes a good one, although it is a bit expensive. Got 2 B's Defiant is pretty good and much cheaper than Crew, but not as nice as Crew.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i love a line called citré shine, hard to find... target sometimes carries it, dunno. anyway it seems to do a great job of moisturizing without feeling heavy or greasy. Unfortunately it has sunblock in it, and my hair fades easily to a dirty-blonde that i like... when i use something with UV protection, my hair is way too dark. so that's out for me. i haven't had time to find something really nice, i'm using herbal essences right now... love crew but hate the smell, and it really pervades a person... you can't wear cologne with it, you just wind up stinking.

luckily i have short hair now, so it's not as much of an issue-- no worries about split ends or frizz (btw vniow, citré shine makes a Straightening Balm that works wonders)... when i had longer hair tho, it was a real bitch. oily at the root and dry/splitting at the tips. VO5 works wonders...

pnw

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's what I use too. It's really great. Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's the commercials that sold me.;)

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

as long as you aren't "lovin' it," it's OK by me ;)

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't think I am. Maybe I am without knowing. Maybe you could tell me what that would mean.

By the way I have a friend that has a saying. "There are two types of guys in this world. Those that masturbate in the shower and those that say they've quit".:D

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i was just taking a cheap shot at ad campaigns, namely the McDonald's one. but i take it by your default interpretation that you haven't "quit...."

:p

13. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

What is with all you guys using girly shampoos!?!?!? For God's sakes men, if you were born as a member of the burly sex, ACT LIKE IT!!!

I usually wash my hair with a handful of cool water, just like our forefathers in the woods as they hunted for wild animals and fought in brutal clan wars. But I do shampoo (with Head and Shoulders) once weekly. I really should change shampoos however, since I'm planning on growing long hair, which means I should change to something that's not so abrasive on my hair with all those chemicals and stuff.

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Your just really trying to p*ss me off aren't you scem0, speaking and a man with a baldness induced no.2 crop, I have no use for hair care products, or indeed hair for that matter...;) ;) :p

I use a baking soda and nitro-glycerine mousse on a daily basis, leaves my hair refreshed and shiny.... (bollox)

The only haircare I have is a pair of powered clippers.

15. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ditto - that and a bar of soap

16. iGav macrumors G3

no.2... ya bleeding hippie!! :eek: :p :p

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

head and shoulders. something's gotta tame that chemical induced white powder coming off my head....

years of straightening and bleaching hair isn't "good" for your scalp i suppose

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you have hair on your head to clean? or were you talking about *somewhere else*? :eek:

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

people who speak in metaphors should shampoo my crotch

it's winter, too cold to shave it down all the way. and unlike wintermute, i still have the option......

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

"what's the matter, your appetites aren't as big as your noses?"

:p

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no apostrophe when you're dealing with plurals

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you bastard, you're taking the easy way out. people who correct my bad english should...

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Putting the thread back on topic, I've been using Jhirmack for awhile.

I've used Pantene, Pert, Vidal Sasson, Prell, Breck, Clairol, and a lot of others--Jhirmack has always worked best for me.

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it's old school shampoo...anyone remember the "breck girl?"

As for myself, I used to use Pert Plus way back in the day, like 15 years ago. When I started putting a bit more thought into my mop of hair, I went for salon stuff. I'd been using Biolage hydrating shampoo & conditioner for several years. I used to keep longer hair in high school & then out, and that stuff seemed to help me keep it managable.

Now I'm using Rusk "Smoother" shampoo. I cut my hair pretty short, and it helps to keep it from just getting all fluffy since I have thick, wavy hair. It works well.

I've used cheaper stuff here & there when I had no other choice, and I'm sorry to say it...but there is a difference. Sometimes my hair feels coarser, dryer, etc.

What a thread... :rolleyes: ;)