Hair 16??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by muffinman, Jul 11, 2006.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Im 16, and when I run my hand through my hair, 3-4 hairs either drop out or stick to my hand. when I wake up, i see hairs (about 10) on the pilllow.

I dont think this has happened before.

Does chlorine cause this hair loss? or maybe shampoo?
  2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Have you been losing weight? Sometimes hair falls out due to weight loss.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    No, testosterone does... your dad's hair pattern will give a clue how things will unfold. I'll leave the rest of this thread to the fellas for their commiserations.
  5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I will say that I've known 18/19 year olds who are bald (including a few in my own family), but I don't think you need worry too much. You're naturally going to shed a fair bit of hair, chances are you're losing no more than before but the difference is now you're looking for it.

Another thought – I don't know the science or biology of it, but do we naturally shed more hairs in hot weather?
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    But some men mimic dogs in heat more than others.
  7. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I thought it was one's grandfather that was more likely to hint at one's own hair loss?
  8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Meh? I thought baldness was transmitted via the mother.
  9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    if your hair really is falling out, start cutting your hair short. i noticed my hair falling out when i was 19, im 22 now and i have a somewhat noticeable receding hairline. I didnt know my real father until a couple years ago, hes bald. bah.
  10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I'm lucky in that I've followed my Dad's side of the family when it comes to hair loss. He's in his mid-fifties now and still has all of his, whereas if I'd taken after my Mum's side of the family I'd have lost it all a good ten years ago. The signs look promising for me at least.

BV's quite right. Your family's hair is a good indication of how yours will turn out. I think your Mum's family also has a big part to play, too, so just don't go looking at your Dad.
  11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check it out with your doctor.

They may reccomend you see a dermatologist. I did this and it turns out I have alopecia.
  12. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The gene for baldness is inherited from the mother, so look at your maternal grandfather and the uncles on your mother's side. Dear old dad probably has little or nothing to do with the son's hair loss...unless he's a mean old thing who produces too much stress in your life. :)

EDIT: Ok, post retracted after msg #15.
  13. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I went to boarding school with a dude who was bald by the time he was 18.
    It happens.
  14. jaydub macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    I hope this is true, because my uncle is 54 and has a full head of black hair. :cool:
  15. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's not true, they have found that the gene can come from either side. Yet another thing these scientists can't figure out. No cure for the common cold, hay fever, or baldness. Waste of my effing tax money.
  16. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    I shed like crazy but I am by no means going bald. Two weeks after I get a haircut it is impossible to tell. Shedding is normal, especially with long hair. Just think of yourself like a dog, except nobody will yell at you for leaving hair all over the place.
  17. adroit macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC
  18. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'''m 14 and I have the same problem. I'm not sure if it's because I used gel from when I was about 8 or 9 until 14 then stopped for half a year and then noticed I was loosing hair quite easily. Now I'm using wax in my hair. But when I'm taking a shower, I will get alot of hair on my hands and it's really annoying, I'm not sure what to do.
  19. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Could it possibly be related to the heat?? I feel like I shed more in the summer than in the winter. I suppose also that chlorine could cause hairs to become more brittle and break off....
  20. jaydub macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    in that case, my dad is 56 and still has a full head of hair. :D
  21. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    16 is not too young to start losing your hair. I started losing mine when I was a sophomore in high school, aged 15.
    My father had a full head of hair, as did one of his brothers. My other uncle on Dads side was slightly bald (no spot, just much thinner on top). Paternal grand-dad, can't say I've ever seen a picture of him.
    My maternal uncle was bald (think mirror-smooth). Maternal grand-dad was very thin on top.
    My oldest brother has a full head of hair. My other brother is kinda thin on top, but not really bald.
    Me? I'm pretty dang bald. A few fine hairs on top, and very thick on the sides and back. I was obviously balding by the time I hit 22 or so.

I always figured it was all the drugs...;) :p
  22. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    From what I know of baldness, the shedding of hair is not as important as what replaces those shed hairs. Normally, identical hair replaces the shed hair, but as baldness progresses, the health of the hair follicle diminishes, resulting in thinner, less visible hair - or sometimes no hair at all.

Hair normally goes through a shedding cycle - which can be exarcebated by stress on either the hair (harsh chemicals, rough styling etc), or on the person (hormones etc).

I wouldn't be terribly worried just yet.

When I was a teenager, I thought I was going bald - but 15 years later my hair is still there (ok, a little receding at the temples) - and I have shed hair on-and-off all those intervening years. (For me, the worst thing is a scar I have right on my front hairline from a diving accident where no hair grows.)

What can you do anyways?
  23. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    Its normal to lose a 50-150 hairs a day.

The gene for male pattern baldness comes from mom, hair loss in general is more determined by enviromental factors than genetic ones.
  24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Hair loss at 16 isn't early balding, unless you're generating a lot of D.H.T. You may not go blind, but you could go least on top. Hair on the sides is not affected.