Hair Styles

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjamindaines, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hello all, my 14 year old nephew has come to me for advice with his hair. He has longish blonde hair (goes down to right under his ears and comes down to a little beyond eye brows), he says he wants to do something with gel but doesn't know what he should do. I have no idea where to start with this, anyone around that age have any ideas for him?

-All help is much appreciated :)

Pictures would also be very helpful if you wouldn't mind.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I used to use gel, and halfway through high school I started using some American Crew Fiber Creme, and its pretty great. Produce a similar effect to gel without the hard look. If you can, convince him that gel should be used sparingly, if at all, and that its much better to have a slightly natural look ... he has to find something that fits his personality.

3. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

not quite what I Was thinking..
    maybe he cuts off enough of it to make a nice lookin' fauxhawk?

fauxhawks are cool :p

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Pictures would also be very helpful if you wouldn't mind. (of him) :p

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'd also suggest a more natural look. I think gel in the hands of even the most mature 14 year old will end up looking too stiff.

There are lots of hair puttys or fiber cremes that will let him style it and still have a pretty soft look. When I had longer hair, I used a brand called Fudge, but now a lot of brands have the same kind of products.

Of course the cut is important too, but most of that is about how he wants it to look. Maybe suggest he look for pictures of what he thinks looks cool and find a good stylist that can shape his hair in a similiar style.

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would but unfortunately he has one of those funky protective mums that wont let me post a picture of him online... even though I don't see what the problem is but gotta go with what she says.

8. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

He says he likes what Alex Albrecht has (DiggNation) but doesn't want something exactly like it.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

This is where a good stylist will be important, because there will almost always be a different between the hair in the cool pictures and his own hair. Especially as far as individual hair thickness and hair density go. Head and face shape are also important.

A good stylist will be able to take suggested looks and adapt them to your nephew's face and head, and will also be able to explain some of this to him.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Then he definitely wants a putty or fiber creme and not gel.

Maybe just ask him to come up with a couple more people whose hair he likes and then see if you can find someone that can come up with his own individual look for him.

11. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Will do. Thank you all for your input and I will get back to you on this after I talk to him again (probably at the end of the week).

--Cheers

12. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I second the mohawk idea, every kid should have at least one in their lifetime.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

maybe if he cuts it, he can do the messy spike look or the push foward then flip it.... a lot of teens have this look...
    whats his look, skater, prep etc

14. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

He's in the middle but more of a prep then anything.

15. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis