Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
Hi my friend has the same rev iBook as me 12", Radeon 9550 model. However today I noticed that the left part of the screen is dimmer than the right despite the machine being newer than mine by three months (purchased in November)! Has anyone else suffered from this problem with the iBooks? I'm worried that if it is a common problem it might occur on my own too!

tinydragon123

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2005
San Diego
Legacy said:
Hi my friend has the same rev iBook as me 12", Radeon 9550 model. However today I noticed that the left part of the screen is dimmer than the right despite the machine being newer than mine by three months (purchased in November)! Has anyone else suffered from this problem with the iBooks? I'm worried that if it is a common problem it might occur on my own too!

I have the same problem with my screen, except it's just dimmer on the bottom edges of the screen instead of on the left. And also, I have the last model: 12" and 1.2 Ghz.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
tinydragon123 said:
I have the same problem with my screen, except it's just dimmer on the bottom edges of the screen instead of on the left. And also, I have the last model: 12" and 1.2 Ghz.

I thought Apple are reliable..they better replace the screen or bulb or whatever, I am going with him tomorrow to Apple store..am going to ask for a check on mine too because I feel uncomfortable now. Do they service machines bought online (from Apple) there too or is it just machines bought from the Apple store? My friends is standard mine is BTO from Apple online :mad:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sorry for your trouble...but please try to remember that there is *NO* manufacturer, nor has there ever been, who has never sold a computer hardware product that has had at least some bad units. Apple's defect rate is lower, and their customer service scores higher, than most anyone. But they also use many industry standard components. It isn't possible with the current state of technology and manufacturing, for them to offer you a completely zero percent chance of product defect.

They should be fine about fixing it for you. I'm sure they'd be happy to look at yours, too, although if you can't see a problem, I doubt in this case that they could either. Good luck!

SiliconBear

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Have u got it fixed?

I got mine in June 2005 from Amazon. And I had this problem in around Oct. The problem seems to be more significant when the LCD is still cold (just booted-up or so). I got it fixed without any problem at that time. I actually was happy with the service.

Since last month, I can see the problem is gradually coming back. But, it is not as serious as last time, i.e., I can only notice it for like 30-60 mins after booting ibook on. I talked to an engr. but this time they couldn't see the issue.

What's really furstrating is my 1-year term is up. And I think I can not avoid applecare when seeing this coming. :-(

I still love my iBook, but I would rather get the 14'' version instead cuz people have been talking about the LCD quality difference between them.

Good Luck to you!
Cheng

Legacy said:
I thought Apple are reliable..they better replace the screen or bulb or whatever, I am going with him tomorrow to Apple store..am going to ask for a check on mine too because I feel uncomfortable now. Do they service machines bought online (from Apple) there too or is it just machines bought from the Apple store? My friends is standard mine is BTO from Apple online :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.