Half Life 2 (CSS/DODS) - Game Play Review (iMac Intel Windows)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by truz, Apr 21, 2006.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I thought I would post some screen shots of the gameplay for Days of Defeat:Source and Counter Strike:Source (Half Life 2 Games). I tend to get better FPS on Counter Strike:Source (CSS: 50-120 FPS depending on map) over Days of Defeat:Source (DODS: 50-100 FPS depending on map), They both play flawless and the graphics are very detailed. The FPS rate I have been getting is while in action (heavy shooting, running, ect..) The video card is NOT overclocked. I have everything running from standard. You can view your own FPS by typing "net_graph 3" to turn on, "net_graph 0" to turn off.

I have all my settings running High (screen shot included)

http://www.macovation.com/reviews/dodss1.png
    http://www.macovation.com/reviews/dodss2.png

http://www.macovation.com/reviews/csss1.png
    http://www.macovation.com/reviews/csss2.png

(Yes, I have nice BRIGHT color counter strike skins.) :)

edit: System Tested on: 20" iMac Intel 2.0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 256mb vram (x1600)

2. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Nice mini review :)..I'm installing Counter Strike Source as we speak..55% done. :D

Do you have access to BF-2?

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Yes, I installed BF2 and updated it a day or two ago.. (like 300mb update)..why..?

The graphics were alright, I find counter strike source and days of defeat source way better graphic wise.

If you play counter strike source give my game server a try "208.101.25.233:27015" <- located in texas...

I hate redownloading cs source :) there upload speeds are a bit slow at times. Not only that, the game is over a gig so the download takes hours even at 200-300kbps

4. Gordy macrumors 6502a

5. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Which mac were you using? iMac.... Macbook pro...

6. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Looking at the resolution (1680 x 1050), it's a 20" iMac. One screenshot says there a 1999 MHz Processor with 20 GB of RAM in it.
    Or is it a Mac Mini on a 20" display? :D

7. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

20" iMac Intel 2.0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 256mb vram (x1600)

8. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Alright, Finished downloading CSS.. and the graphics looks awesome.. detailed.. almost same as i had them w/ my Windows PC running on 6800GT and X2 3800+.

Now, who wants to play? :D

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Turn a little anti-aliasing on... it looks way better

10. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Does it effect the fps any?

11. ucscc10 macrumors member

yea, it'll take it down a little bit, but it will definitely still be playable. on my PC 30 fps is playable and i'm jealous of you guys with your intel macs getting better stuff than i. time to sell/trade up

12. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Yea, the iMac display does 60Hz at full resolution (more on lower rez) thus you have either 30 or 60 images (depending on how the panel is used... can someone research this?). So I would set the settings so you have as many frames as your screen delivers in action scenes. Too bad graphics cards can't adjust settings automatically. Something like turning the nearly unnoticable effects off in action scenes where the framerate drops below a certain threshold (screen refresh rate) and turn them back on when the FPS is above the refresh rate. Too bad most games have to be restarted when you enable anti-aliasing ore something :)

Any benchmarks for the 17" iMac on Source engine? Since it has a lower resolution I guess the framerates are comparable, right? Too bad you can't get the 256 MB for the graphics on the 17" :mad:

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yeah it'll take the FPS down a little, but all of those jagged edges will be smoothed. To me, it's worth the FPS drop (as long as I stay above 40 FPS) to get a sweet looking image.

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

How big is the HL:2 install. (HL2+steam+CS:S)

By the way, what is steam and why do they make me use it!?

15. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Steam is a little app that lets you manage your steam applications. I don't like it either, I'd rather have a sepeate updater app or just a website where I can download patches and stuff. Oh yea, you need Steam to unlock the files on the CD you bought (takes hours on my mashine). I learned my lesson and NEVER will buy a game from Steam again. :mad:

You can set this Image as spray logo in CSS to express your anger like I do. And yes, it is animated in game. :)

Attached Files:

16. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

:eek: :D

So, I need steam even though I bought the CD for $49.95? That is the epitome of stupidity.

17. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Not sure why people are always crying how bad Steam is.. I think Steam is nice updater and unlocker.. when i got the HL-2/CSS(The first day it was released) It took me like an hour to get the files unlocked.. sure i can understand their servers were under heavy traffic as millions of people were waiting for HL-2. It keeps most of your games updated, also lets you back your game files on dvd/cd(if you downloaded the game, pre-installed it, etc), its not a big system resource hog and runs silently in your taskbar.. I think its noob-proof as you don't have to search google or Game site for latest patches, mods etc.. Steam lets you do this w/ just one click.

18. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Ok, I'll provide a larger explination. Steam is a program where you can play all of your games bought from Valve. They offer packages of games for a good discount. Like the "Source" pack offers HL2, CSS, DODS, and HL2 Deathmatch. They make you use it because it can easily update your games. Anyway... Those are excellent FPS ratings. And since the MacBook Pro's hardware is virtually the same as the iMac, Im gonna sell my PC for one and keep my 17" monitor. Does Windows let you go into clamshell mode and display on an external display on a MBP? I dont plan on playing any newer games. I will go as far as Elder Scrolls Oblivion. And does Windows recoginze external HDD's?

19. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

I'm sure Windows will let do the clamshell mode as ATI drivers provided w/ Bootcamp show external display tab. External drives work flawlessly.. I have two 250Gb drives formatted in FAT32 and working under both OS.

20. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

What kind of speakers can you have hooked up to the MacBook Pro? I have a 4.1 Speaker system (odd set-up I know) and I want to keep it. Does that Audigy laptop card work with it? Sorry I turned this topic into "Kyles MBP Questions."

21. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

I don't think you can use that Audigy PCMCIA laptop sound card w/ Mac Book Pro..

Right now I'm using Logitech Z-2300 2.1's w/ my iMac.. I had them w/ my Powerbook 12.1" earlier.. Kicka$$ speaker set and a great value.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121122

22. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Won't the MacBook Pro get seriously hot in clamshell mode for gaming?
    It has optical 5.1 audio output so I'd just plug your sound system in there. Good luck with PCMCIA, the MBP does not have a PCMCIA-Slot. :p

I only use headphones (AKG 240 Studio) because I can crank it up and the shock effects come out perfect. And it's great for locating ennemies with the sound they make with phones. Oh, a black headcrab at 5 o'clock :eek: <turn left>, "bang", done.

@truz:
    Do you know if the 256MB on the GPU are really used? I can't decide whether I want the high or low end iMac/MBP.

23. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

How many FPS on high details (same as truz on the screenshots)? If you cane compare them, I'll get the 17" iMac.

24. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Not where I would have it. I have a mini fan on my desk, a box fan on my floor and a celling fan, and my windows are always open. Cooling isnt a problem for me. :D

25. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

How does everyone think BF2 would run with the 2.0/1gb/256mb Macbook? Im anxious to find out, as ill be getting one soon...