Half Life 2 on a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Games' started by DavidLeblond, Mar 19, 2006.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

2. jrk07 macrumors regular

I watched the video and am not convinced whatsoever that its really the mac mini playing HL2. They may have figured out the video drivers for it, and perhaps it does run HL2 now, but I doubt it and that video does nothing to prove that the mac mini is the computer running that monitor.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looks like the video is down. Too much traffic probably.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

If you watch the 2nd video, it shows them starting from booting the mini (with the logo-based dual boot screen) and up to running and playing HL2. So it's real.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

As much as I would like to believe that they have one of my favorite games running on a mac mini, I don't buy it. It could be running off of any random PC sitting a couple of feet away.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

*Begins downloading clip*

If true, this is amazing... I might finally be able to sell my gaming computer!!!

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Given the quality of the video, it's hard to tell what sort of quality settings they are using in HL2, although I can't imagine it would be very high. It does appear to be running smoothly at whatever settings they are using though.

An Intel iMac might be able to do a decent job once they get the graphics drivers for it (maybe they already have, I'm not sure).

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I'm not sure what the big deal about this is?

My old ati xpress 200 integrated graphics could play Half Life 2...you just couldn't turn up the graphics much at all.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They do not make Half Life 2 for OS X.

10. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Yup, XP is running it. Have people not been able to play games when installing XP on the Macs lately or something?

11. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

There haven't been drivers for the video cards. There still isn't one for the x1600, but it appears they got a driver working with the Intel graphics in the Mini.

No video drivers means no DirectX or OpenGL support.

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

He turns the video camera on the mac mini before launching Half Life 2. He could easily have two boxes set up, and while looking at the mac mini, could have switched to the windows box to open Steam. Weak sauce...

This gives the video a little more credibility, but there is still alot of doubt.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The patch to install Windows XP on a mac has been available to the public for three days. This is a very new occurence, and is a substantial leap forward.

So to answer your question: No. People have not been playing games by running Windows on a Macintosh lately.

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Even so, this is the closest so far anyones gotten to Half Life 2 on a Mac. ;)

15. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

even with the patch, do you think HL2 is gonna run on the Mac MINI with a internal graphics card? if its the older mac, then no way cause those were G4 based so it has to be the new intel version witch I highly doubt packs enough of a punch to run HL2

16. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It could probably run it since my old xpress 200 board did. You would just have to run it at a lower resolution with all the effects turned off/down.

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The Intel integrated graphics in the Intel Mac minis are slightly faster than the Radeon 9200s in the PPC Mac minis. It certainly can handle Half-Life 2, albeit at lower graphic settings. They made Half-Life 2 incredibly scaleable so even graphic cards as old as a GeForce 2 can run it.

18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i want a complete desk shot from start to finish without a single cut to be 100% sure

no crappy camera movement

19. p0intblank macrumors 68030

If this video is legit, I must say that I am very impressed with the frame rate the Mac mini is pushing out! :eek: Now try running it in 1680 x 1050 res. and we'll see how that goes. ;)