Half Life 2 on a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Games' started by ifjake, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

2. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

thats unbelievable, i hope they fix the frame rate issue on the actual gameplay, but thats awesome

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

What's so amazing about it?

What will really amaze me is the day where I can play Windows games from within OSX.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... umm... it clearly says they're working on XP drivers. For a card as good as that it will run HL2 perfectly soon as the drivers are 100%, when they're not beta.

but that was just brilliant. the music! hah. top.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah there was obvious glitching in the menu as well, but the fact they've got this far, just hope they didnt have to flash the gpu bios...

6. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess when it comes down to it, Windows XP just serves the purpose of some sort of glorified launcher.

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

That seems awesome but it would be soooo much cooler to play within OS X I would sacrifice a bit of performance if it would run decetly on OS X with WINE or something like that.

8. jrk07 macrumors regular

That video shows great potential to me. Since the video card is not working to its fullest potential yet it still runs at that FPS (I know its horrid, but with broken drivers i am impressed).

Heres to hoping for full speed HL2 on macs running windows in the next few weeks!

9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I have to admit... seeing Half-Life 2 running on a MacBook Pro gives me a good feeling. :) Now to fix that frame rate!

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

You didn't know?:p

11. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

even if they do fix the drivers and it runs 100% how would it be open to the public?

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I also am looking forward to see if this can be accomplished. I've heard it's possible so I guess it's just a question of when.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

They would post it for downloading? Its not like a driver is an illegal piece of software...

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

there is an entire community of people who mod and build their own drivers for windows. Tons of them. It's pretty active, actually. The drivers are often just stripped-down versions of the "official" drivers. because the official drivers are made as a jack of all trades sort of driver, the most current drivers are loaded down with code for graphics cards that are 3-5 years old...if you don't have an old card, why should you load a driver that has extra stuff to make an old card work? If you only have an old card, why do you need programming to handle pixel shader 3.0 or soft shadows and all of the newer stuff that old cards can't do anyway?

Custom drivers are often as stable or more stable than the official ones. They tend to give you a better, faster experience, too. The trade off is you need to know something of what you're doing. You have to download the right driver, and install it properly, and know how to replace it if you need a newer one. it probably also voids the graphics card's warranty. Although running a custom boot loader on a Mac probably voids the entire system's warranty to begin with!