Half-Life 2 on MBP???

Discussion in 'Games' started by SavageLLama77, Mar 6, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I may be getting a 15'' 2.33ghz 2gb RAM C2D MBP. I also plan to play Half-Life 2 on it. I was wondering how well it would play, considering the maximum resolution I could put it at without a framerate slowdown, the graphics, and the framerate. Please give me any info you have about how well the game would play on this set up. Also, I noticed the preferred system requirements have a 2.4ghz processor, so does this mean I won't play it to a good potential? Thanks.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A Macbook pro wont have any problems since it has a "real" Gpu. Id worry more about having to run windows.;)

3. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Would I be able to max out everything? What exactly could I max out thanks.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A MBP? God! It'll fly. I'm running HL2 on my stock 17" iMac with Radeon Omega Drivers, but on my 20" 1680*1050 display. I can stick everything on full, AA at about 4x (generally unneeded at that res though) and I get about 40fps. It's an old, easy running game that somehow can still compete visually against more modern games.

HL2 is more a CPU intensive game. And seeing it's a C2D - it will fly. Enjoy!

5. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Can I play HL2 on a 12" Powerbook G4? Would it run smoothly in a little 640x480 window with graphics settings on medium? I wasn't even aware this game would run on macs.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

it doesn't. it runs on windows on macs under bootcamp. it will not run on a G4.

7. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Would I be able to max out everything while running a 2560 by 1600 30''?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Possibly, without AA on it should run very well indeed. What video card is in your MBP?

9. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a MBP now, but I plan to get one with the 256mb of VRAM. And when you say it can run well, is that while it's resolution is 2560 by 1600 on a 30'' display? Thanks.

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

deja vu

you could probably do a search and find a lot of posts about the same thing

11. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help?

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I think he is referencing the fact that this thread was needlessly created so that we could all rehash the same old information that is already lurking beneath your fingertips that is just waiting to be unleashed. A search would have provided answers to your questions in a much more expedient way but I suppose it doesn't boost your post count as much as starting a new thread.

Now to add something to the thread, if you plan on running the original HL2, you should be able to run it with just about everything maxed at native resolution. You may need to back off on the AA/AF a tick, however. If you plan on running Episode 1, you will need to back off the setting a bit more since it is more graphics intensive that the original. All in all, it should run swimmingly however don't expect to get 60+ FPS when you are being swarmed by Combine.