half life 2 or Counterstrike Source on Macbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kungfucody, Dec 21, 2006.

1. kungfucody macrumors newbie

I was looking into getting a macbook, (not pro) and I was wondering if the crappy built in card could muster up enough power to run half life 2 via windows via boot camp? anyones opinion on this would be greatly appreciated. what about cs source?? what about on an external monitor?
    i wish they made a pro with a 13" screen the 15" is just too bulky.

thanks again

2. macintouch macrumors regular

Most likely your framerates are going to suck. It should load up and play, but at a low resolution or with very little anti-aliasing.

Give it a shot and let us know how it looks.

*Crosses fingers for 12/13" MBP @ MacWorld*

3. aholden12592 macrumors regular

ok, so here is the answer to everybody's question about cs:source. SO i have a macbook (see sig). I installed source and here are my results - the higly detailed default maps are very laggy no matter what. But what i do is play modded maps that are basic but really fun. These kind of maps let me turn the resolution and graphics up and not suffer from framerate problems.

WHEN USING CS:SOURCE ON MACBOOK YOU MUST DO THIS - go into Steam and go to the advanced options for the game and change the launch properties to "-dxlevel 70" (without the quotes). This will change the startup graphics to direct x 7. Macbooks can't handle 9.

(sorry about the typos originally - i had to write it fast)

4. bigjimbob macrumors member

is it just me, or did anybody else not understand that post??

It seemed like there are a couple of important words missing in the middle...

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Great thing aboout HL2 is it was made to run in many modes, even older direct X versions 7 & 8 so getting it to play nice with your hardware can be done with lil problem though its sweeter with everything on:) with everything on highest plus AA & AF it looks fanatastic. Integrated graphics wont be able to do this though,it takes a real gpu.