Half Life 2 Petition

Discussion in 'Games' started by harveypooka, Dec 5, 2004.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ain't gonna happen, my friend. Ain't gonna happen.

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

wow, do people actually think that online petitions are worth anything? i thought that line of thinking went away years ago...

but I guess there's always someone who thinks that a corporation reads and cares about an online petition...

so i guess more power to you. but it's not gonna do jack.

4. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

WORD! Never seen petitions do anything for software developers. They have accountants for that. ;)

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I don't know....there was a petetion for AOM and it's on the mac now. But yeah....not going to work.

6. Jaz macrumors regular

Gotta agree that it ain't gonna happen.

Sad though. With Bungie occupied by M$, id focused on PC first, Valve never supporting Apple, only Blizzard are left as Mac supporters of the AAA developers.

Got an Xbox and PC for gaming, but still resent that OS X is overlooked so much.

7. Jaz macrumors regular

Valve code-optimise for ATI cards running DirectX.

It's a big effort to re-code/optimise again for OpenGL predominantly, let alone the Mac nuances of the ATI X8xx and nVidia 6xxx lines.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

We could really use another game that would play awfully on the Mac. Might as well build a cheap to play on. I'm actually quite surprised, my PC is two years old. 2Ghz P4, 768 RAM, 128MB GF4 Ti4000 and it plays everything on high detail with no lagging what so ever, I was very impressed.

jon

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Ha-Ha. Priceless! Made my day. :D

10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Remeber Apple is running pretty weak for getting a good game on there system until Apple starts giving the option of puttin in real graphic card in there consumer lv computers. As it stands apple made it pretty crystal clear they dont care about gaming on there computer at all

11. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Bloody hell, well don't bother then! I remember a few years back when
    there was a petition for Fallout 2...that eventually came to the Mac. Not sure if this had anything to do with the petition, but it would be nice to
    think so. If anything it's nice to see how many mac users would be
    interested in getting the game. Best not bother eh?

12. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i think AOM was planned for the mac a bit before a petition even if i can tell you it did nothing to sway developers

they could get a good couple billion people signing a petition online and it would mean totally nothing to the developers for a few reasons
    1) like the 1st post said "It only takes two seconds" so they could be fake
    2)theirs no guarantee that anyone would buy anything just cause they say they want it
    3)ignorance and arrogance this is probably the most important part lots of the game companies dont think apple still exists or practically
    or feel that the mac is inferior to windows pcs
    in the past mac users have seen the head of valve hates macs

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well, on one hand you are right: Why not do something. Can't lose much.
    But on the other hand, it has never been proven that petitions to get a game EVER worked. So for most of us it feels it's just a waste of time and effort. Sorta like convincing a religious zealot that God doesn't exist...

But if it makes you feel better, I will sign the petition....

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

iJon, what does your HL2 say when you go to the graphics options and click "advanced" where it lists your hardware mode?

is it running in DX7 or 8.0 or 8.1 or 9.0?

You aren't running 9.0, i guess, because you don't have a DX9 vid card, but man, you should see it in DX9...the water reflections, etc. are amazing.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

And the flames! No DX9, no cool flames (finally saw some screenshots of proper flames).

Yeah, uh, petitions never ever work.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Hardware I'm probably running 8.0, software 9.0c. I have all settings on high as well as the water reflection and man it's pretty. I don't plan on putting any more money in this PC cause I simply don't play games enough to build another $1,000+ machine.

jon