Half Life 2 runs great :) iMac...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mulletman13, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all,

Just thought I'd post a topic to reassure everybody that it runs perfectly fine on a 17" iMac at 1440 x 900.

The video stress test in CS:S runs at a respectable 102 fps.

I pose this question to everybody though...

I am not familiar with gaming on Windows anymore, its been about 5 years. I'm looking for a program that will let me use my Xbox 360 wired controller with CS:S and HL-2.

I've tried something with "Pinnacle" in the title, but it isn't doing too good of a job.

As for mouse and keyboard... I know more control, blah blah, but I play better with a gamepad :)

Thanks!

2. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Thank you!!!!!! Can you post the iMac's specs?

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Woot! *rushes to circuit city to binge on games*

4. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

I am under the impression that the xbox 360 wired controller works out of the box with windows, and includes a driver cd, when purchased by itself. I only have wireless controllers on my 360, but a quick search at microsoft yielded this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...sion=Download XBox 360 Controller for Windows

And the first option is the driver for windows xp for the 360 usb controller.

Happy gaming!

5. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

'ello all,

Thanks for linking to the driver, but you are right -- it is noticed off the bat and installs properly.

The problem is just that HL2 has no options in it to map joystick/gamepad to the keys... so I'm looking for an addon or plugin that will let me do this.

As for the specs on my machine, everything is standard:

160gb hdd
    128mb x1600
    17" LCD
    512mb RAM

It looks great and doesn't get the fans working at all :)

6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

good stuff!!

okay - i am REALLY considering buying an imac. now....:eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :D

aussie_geek

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thanks for the performance update mulletman13. :) Its nice to hear real world reports on the performance of Apple's computers.

8. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Indeed. Just finished updating the firmware; XP SP2 and HL2, here I come!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well done apple. BOOT CAMP works a treat. I have installed windows within an hour & have office, div x, firefox etc... all up and running

GREAT! Just what the doctor ordered. I wonder what will happen to onmac.net project now? There isn't any need for it.

10. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Question: (this makes me look like such a Mac user...I'm glad that I am) how much HDD space does HL:2 and CS:S (maybe CS:CZ too) take up? I'm partitioning just for those games, so how big should I make my Windows partition?

I'm thinking 8 GB should be okay...right?

EDIT: Oh, and what steps will I need to take to make everything ready to install all that, i.e. DirectX?

11. Takumi macrumors regular

It would seem that the success of that project forced apple's hand to release an offiial dual boot software.

Takumi

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I made a 50 gig partition for XP only because I have a lot of old .avi files that can only be encoded using windows movie maker to make them .wmv files..Which should then play fine in Quicktime..

13. clykins90 macrumors regular

clykins90

Age of Empires III runs fantastic on a base iMac core duo 17" 1.67. The settings are not quite all the way up, but it still looks frickin amazing! Battlefront II works great, Battlefield 2 works great, HL2 works great...dang im lovin this!:D :D :D

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds cool. :)

Oh, how I wish that my Mac could run Boot Camp. :rolleyes: :)

16. Harbinger macrumors newbie

HL2 does run great. MacBook Pro w/2 GB ram and the 256 MB Radeon. Warning! The 3D mark 05 crashed my Mac twice.

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You have an Intel iMac 1.83 core duo not a 1.67..
    Apple doesn't have a iMac 17" 1.67 ;)

18. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have the iMac Core Duo 2.0 with the 256mb of VRAM and 2gb of RAM, this thing plays the game beautifuly. No lag, nothing, it runs like butter! I did the Direct X 9.0c December 2005 update (free via Microsoft.com - no validation or Windows Genuine check needed so you can use FireFox) and it installed fine, no errors, and the games look great. You can download it here:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (December 2005) Full Download

Day of Defeat Source and Counter-Strike Source run the same, they run great, this is fantastic. I am now installing Star Wars Battlefront II, after that I'll install Guild Wars, LEGO Star Wars, and when I find the disc, Battfield 2. This is a very good day to be a Intel Mac Gamer ;)

EDIT: Also I went to install Skype and I got a bluescreen of death, I restarted and deleted the folder and everything's fine, just a word of caution.

19. Takumi macrumors regular

Early reports suggest that you are the first to experience the dreaded BSOD on a mac:p

Takumi

20. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Nah I saw a screenshot of it on a MacBook Pro before I even got started...off to play Star Wars Battlefront II! :D

EDIT: Star Wars Battlefront II runs perfectly, Guild Wars runs perfectly...with everything on max settings with Anti-Aliasing on 4x this rules! :D

21. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Yea dude, 8 gb should be enough... I'd go ten to be safe for future updates or something.

Also... what is CS:CZ? I'll google it but post it here too :)

22. Young Jobs macrumors newbie

Young Jobs

thats pretty tyte.... i was wonderin how steam games would run and then i found this post!

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Awesome, I'm glad CS:S works great on the iMacs. Anyone installed it on a MBP?

I'm installing CS:S on my Mac mini Core Solo :p haha it'll probably run like crap :)

24. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Condition Zero. Basically a 1 player version of CS 1.6. It sucked :)

25. RichCoder macrumors member

I think if you use macdrive software you will be able to install it to your OSX partition in case you run out of space. Actually I would save most of my documents on my OSX drive from windows so I could access them when I rebooted into OSX.

-rich