Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by pianodude123, Jan 11, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

UGhhhhhhh

This is the only thing I hate about my mac. It is perfectly capable of playing games like H-L 2 and BF 2, which I must play now....

but.... they just need to make a version for the ppc. How come they dont do this, dont they know a lot of mac gamers want this too. I have the last gen of a spectacular computer, I just want to use it to its full capacity !!!!

So, When are these games coming out....are they coming out? and if they arent, or not for a while, what are some similar games I can get a demo of, because im sick and tired of playing halo 1 all the time. What are some comparable games?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope HL2 hits Mac. Ive found mac ports to be a little more efficient over their PC counterparts, I was enjoying HL2 in 1024*768 on my laptop with a FX Go5600 so I can imagine the mac version being similar.

it really is a fantastic game. you need a mouse and keyboard for this one, or a joypad with 6 thumbs.

3. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

5. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

okay, seriously,

I reaaaallllly want a game with great graphics, preferably has to do with war/racing/flying....

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

1) Havok Physics Engine
    2) Laziness
    3) Lack of profit (due to reasons #1 and #2)

7. Motley macrumors 6502

Here's a semi-old story from IMG talking about the Havok problem and despite some talk of progress being made, nothing that uses it has been ported of which I am aware.

Long story short, Havok owners want more money to license the engine than Mac porters can pay. And guess which games use Havok.

8. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

That whould be a bit dissapointing, actually. I kinda expect that to be ported anyway, so I'm hoping for something more of a surprise...

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Havok engine HAS BEEN PORTED to the mac, the only problem is that they ask for a ridiculous amount of money in order to give it to be used for mac games.

12. Motley macrumors 6502

I doubt it because it would come from Aspyr because they did Doom 3, and I think Aspyr already announced it.

Yup already announced and from Aspyr, a month ago!

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, Quake 4 for Mac is old news; where've you been? ;) The unannounced MacSoft game that would "please Mac gamers" will probably be Age of Empires III. Half Life 2 would cost too much even without Havok. AoE 3 does use Havok, but MacSoft did hint some time ago about maybe they'd be able to work it out for the right game, and since they did the previous two, and since AoE 2 is popular on the Mac, it makes some sense.

--Eric

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Let be honest here guys.

You are a developer investing millions in to a product that you want to make sure you get back what you spend more over..

How many big & small publishers in the games world went belly up over the last two year.. loads....

It's an imensly fickle market, all the publishers rely on 1 game doing well because they now the other 4 out of five will do naff all at retail.

All it takes is one of those titles they had pinned there hopes on doing poorly and it's profit warnings and share price drops all over the place...

The mac counts for 4-5% of the PC market. And maybe only 10% of mac owners really care about gaming enough to buy somthing that will actually run a game adequetly (a mac mini for gaming is a joke)..

So as a publisher do you fund your developer to make a mac version of a game that they are making on pc, full acknowledging that it's got less chance at retail than it's pc equivalent or do you just say, bugger it - we'll just release a pc version and if a mac publisher like aspyr wants to take the risk let them do so...

That's why we don't see as many games and simultanious releases. Yes there are exception's... Small developers acknoweldge the gamers on macs and make niche titles like Darwinia available on the mac platform. And there's alway's Blizzard who for whatever reason alway's see,m to release a mac version of it's pc titles.

But that's about it... It's all economics.. Let's just hope that with the intel transition the option to boot an external HD running Windows Vista is open to us and then we can play the games we want, and when finished simply reboot up the Operating System we want...

15. Motley macrumors 6502

Actually I remember an interview with someone from Blizzard where they stated the cross platform developement forced them write better code in general and prevented problems from popping up later on.

But you're right, Glenda from Aspyr stated that despite the increase in Mac users there did not seem to be a correlated increase in Mac game purchases.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

But she also said that Mac game sales didn't go down, either, whereas PC sales did go down, so maybe the increase in Mac sales prevented Mac game sales from dropping.

--Eric

17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Or maybe, they need to stop releasing unpolished three-year-late ports (that cost two to three times more than the same game for the PC) of games that nobody gives a damn about?

Call me crazy...

18. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

You might like Unreal Tournament 2004. Great online, multiplayer. You can fly and drive several different vehicles, but I don't think there's any racing. Single-player is fun too as the A.I. is challenging though it's not really story based. It's futuristic, unlike BF and BF2. I think BF might have bigger maps though. If you want a bit of story you might like Halo, though it's weaker in multiplayer than UT2004 (check out this thread for more info. on multiplayer here)

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i got sick of not having games come out for mac and just bought and xbox. Now I'm enjoying half-life 2 and tons of other games that run perfectly for really not that much money.

btw: hl2 is just absolutely amazing. Graphically obviously, but gameplay and fun. Talk about scary at parts too... doom 3 doesn't compare.