Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, May 24, 2004.

1. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some of you may remember me posting a petition last year for a Mac version of Half-Life 2. Well, it's nearly up to 4000 posts, so I decided to comment on what's happened so far. Take a look at the list of signatories, you'll find my comments at number 3984. However, for all you lazy people ;), here you go:

Of course, having led a petition for a Mac version, I'll have to actually buy it when it comes out, without resorting to BitTorrent :eek:

2. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

If only 4000 people would pay for a game.

4000 people may have signed the petition but not all of them would actually pay for Half-Life 2. You have to account for the people who will play this game without paying for it.

Having said that, it would be great to have the sequel on the Mac. I am currently playing the original Half-Life on the PS2 and I am loving it. A bit too much loading for me but otherwise it is designed very well.

By the way, did Half-Life licence a graphics engine or is it an original?

3. macrumors regular

I too would love to see HL2 ported to Mac but I think that it's unlikely that we would even hear any announcement from Valve before the release date of the PC version as they already promised that it would be out quite some time ago and now it looks as though it may not even be released until Christmas. Sad as it may be, we must accept that Windows users still make up the greater share of the world computer markets and therefore software developers will always target them ahead of all others and we will have to wait our turn before any such announcement is made (if it even comes) and that PC owners would kick up one heck of a fuss if Valve were seen to be shifting focus to a Mac version before the PC release.

Chris

4. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Half-Life used a heavily modified Quake 2 engine.

5. thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I did consider that, but wasn't about to post it on the petition site where Valve could see it. Some of the comments on the site said things like "I don't have a Mac, but they should still get all the games". It's nice of them to say that, but it doesn't count as a purchase :(