Half-life/Counter-strike on Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ashon3611, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ashon3611 macrumors member

ashon3611

Im a big Counter-strike fan and im getting a 12' Powerbook in the next couple of months. I've randomly heard people running CS w/ WineX or something like that... Does anyone know if there is a Half-life version for Mac? I mean even my 1.1 Ghz AMD Atheon that. Why shouldn't a 1.33 Ghz G4 do the same? Does it have to do w/ DirectX and if it does is there a program that can do something like it for mac?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry, there is no way to run HL or CS on a Mac. it *might* be possible on a G5 with Virtual PC 7, but don't hold your breath.

If it's any consolation, those games are several years old now anyway.

While we're on the topic of HL, for some reason I received a 'reset your Steam password' email from Valve a couple of days ago. I replied, asking why I received this, saying that I haven't used Steam since switching to Mac in February last year. I also added a note that they're one of the only game companies out there to not have Mac versions of their games. They probably won't bother to reply, but it's worth dropping a Mac comment in there :)

For some reason, that just reminded me that Apple owes me $16. Time to send off another email :rolleyes:

3. ashon3611 thread starter macrumors member

ashon3611

ahh well that sucks... well does anyone know of any game like CS that can run on a mac? Wouldnt it be beautiful knifing someone to dead on our huge 23' screens? I've never played any of the ranbow 6 series i wonder how that in multiplayer mode...

FYI: AWPer's can kiss my bass. ("here fishy fishy...")

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

There's an Unreal Mod called Tactical Ops, which is similar to counterstrike. Pretty fun.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Yea its pretty decent, but now there's a mod for ut2k4 called Majestic 12 which beats the tar out of TO by a ton from what I can tell. There isn't "technically" a mac version of it, but when I go home this weekend I am going to buy ut2k4 and attempt to get it to work. I have been talking to one of the guys on the development team and says the reason there is no Mac version yet is because they don't have anyone with a mac to test it. I offered to give it a shot. So I can let you all know soon (midweek next week) if it works if you want. You could try it yourself if you have ut2k4. Just go to the website http://majestic12.modnmod.com/ and grab the Linux files. They're .zip files so you can unstuff them. And follow the directions for Linux installation. That's as far as I've gotten so far though due to the fact that I don't own 2k4 yet.

And ashon3611, its not that Macs can't handle CS or HL performance wise, its a problem with the porting. I briefly read an article a couple years ago about how Valve (or whoever was involved in the porting process) had to give up because they had to change so much of the game to get it to work with OpenGL and other Mac things that it changed the game too much. So much that if they had finished it would have been a totally different game on the Mac OS platform. Anyone want to correct me or add something?

Good luck.

edit: And just so you know, the Rainbow Six games are absolutely nothing like CS. Completely different gameplay.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Actually they ported the game and got it working (or so sources say) but the net code wouldn't work. I suppose if we had OSX when HL came out it'd probably be a different story. Anyway, Valve knew the whole point of HL was the multiplayer and they didn't want to release a game that either A) couldn't play multiplayer or B) could only multiplay with Macs. They reasoned the only reason Mac users would buy HL was to play against PC users - and they're probably right. And Valve should have sent out for porting, but they tried to do it in house. You know Valve and their source. Anyhoo eventually VPC will be fast enough to play 5 year old games. Just you wait ;P

8. applekid macrumors 68020

It wasn't completely a net code problem. Valve and Sierra did not want to go through any trouble of keeping the Mac and PC versions compatible with each other. So it was partially a problem with the multiplayer aspect.

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I've never played Counterstrike, but I regularly play a Quake 3 mod called True Combat which I think is similar.

10. stvli macrumors newbie

Counterstrike is the best shootem up game online... If you're looking for gameplay its a must, even if its on the PC... Shame Half Life is not on the Mac, I think the Mac community gamers would be so happy. Also doesn't require intense GFx card

11. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

One of the best yes. It's been around for years, and people still keep buying it. Not to mention play it all the time, you can find full servers at any point during the day. My roommate just did, and hes plays all the time (or at least when he's playing Madden2005... lol). The Mac gamers would definitely be happy, and I think, if someone got around to trying again with OS X, they would be happy too. The fact that its so old and thus isn't terribly demanding on your system would get a lot of people to buy it, especially now that HL 2 and Doom 3 are out and only available for people with moster machines. See, HL or even just CS for Mac = everyone happy :p

Ah, but we shouldnt start another whole CS thread.... sorry

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh counterstrike..i played it more often in the last 2-3 weeks..nice from time to time... but i stepped back from online playing...not really worth it ..too many freaks around

13. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

HL for Mac

I can't remember what company was porting HL to the Mac, but I read a comment on their web site how they were on track, and Sierra decided to pull the plug. Didn't want to further pump money into the port, I suppose. Instead they put money into the Dreamcast...which also got killed. Then there was the Babylon 5 game which got killed...and I'm still not sure if the Middle Earth on-line game is or ever will see the light of game. But then, Lucas Arts has been pretty good at cutting games, like Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max, etc. What a drag.

But I did manage to install HL on my Mac using Virtual PC 5. With a 400 Mhz G4 machine it installed and ran. I didn't try playing it too much. It ran, but it was a little choppy. But if you have a new 1+ GHz machine, you should probably be fine, I think.

14. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

You're kidding me right? :eek: This actually runs in VPC? I thought that it was slower than tar on ANY G4. Have yet to hear about someone with a G5 and VPC 7 however.

15. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I think that Soldier of Fortune II is quite similar to CS at least in terms of look and feel. I can't remember if their is a team mode on SOF2. I burned a lot of nights playing that and CS at work last year. (I work in the public schools and the network admin hid CS and SOF2 on a couple of computers in the labs.) Good times. If its true you can run CS through VPC with descent framerates (I'm not talking perfect.) then I may have to pull the ol' dredit card out.

16. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

By the way, it seemed like in a previous CS thread , somebody said that VPC ran it like a dog though. I would be interested in some benchmarks for this if available.

17. Doraemon macrumors 6502

18. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Majestic 12...?!?!

Hey, if/when you try majestic 12 and it works please post!! If it works for mac, well, I'll probably buy UT2k4.... :cool:

19. ashon3611 thread starter macrumors member

ashon3611

Oh man that would be awsome since I'm probably going to get the new 12" G4 PB's (1.6Ghz) that are suppose to come out next month or so, I was just thinking since CS is my favorite multiplayer game I just couldn't see myself paying alot for a computer if it couldn't even run that.

I wonder what the frame rate and @ what resolution someone would get w/ CS running on VPC6 or even the new VPC7 (is it out yet?)...

I might have to dig around for my spraypaint logo i made myself. (its "Raped by KiRBY" w/ Nintendo's Kirby going like this " (>'.')> " kinda)

20. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

For sure. I might even be able to test it out and let you know by this weekend instead of waiting til next week. We'll see though. I let you all know how it works out.

21. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Well just for fun, I installed Half-Life on my 1.4GHz eMac under VPC 6 to see how it would run. First of all, you have to run it in software mode (VPC has no 3d acceleration support). Running at 640x480, the game ran at a blistering 5-10fps in the training course. A game of Counterstrike with dozens of players running around would probably give you a smooth slideshow of ~2fps.

Incase you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic. HL/CS certainly does NOT run well under VPC, and even a G5 won't change that.

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I think it would run playable on a dual G5 once MS adds native video support. It's rumored that the native video will only support the performance of a geforce 3. A geforce 3 can play CS, so I'm betting CS will play...eventually...

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And native GFX accel. is again rumored next spring/summer I believe. MS just wanted to get VPC for the G5 out for the iMac.

24. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Any word on Majestic 12 compatibility on Mac? :rolleyes:

25. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie