Half-life of razor blades

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UKnjb, Mar 14, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

I was shaving this morning and --- the razor seemed blunt. When I thought back, I realised that I had only put a new one in only three days ago. And I only have a relatively light growth - shave once a day. And then I back-tracked some more and it seemed that I was replacing blades on pretty much a 3 or 4 day cycle. The razor I use is a Gilette SensorExcel, two-blade.
    Some time ago I had been trying to screw some more life out of my razors and ended up putting them in an ultra-sonic bath to really shake off all of the gunk that seems to accumulate. Sort of worked, but then I thought life was too short to have anxieties about razor blades and moved on.
    So. So how often does everone else have to change blades, and does the manufacturer make any difference?
    And if you were up for a subsidiary question (mostly for the males, I suppose), would you rather have to shave at least once every day, or swap places with a woman and have a period only once a month?

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I use those ultra cheapos that come in a package of 20 or so for a dollar and change them every week. My skin cuts easily enough and anything will do an adequate job for shaving purposes. As to your other question, I will stay with my present gender.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    For any planning on changing places, bear in mind that your shaving time equates to our make-up time - and most women still shave on a regular basis - or get waxed on a less regular one.

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

How much time do you typically spend doing your make-up? I would think most women take longer doing that than men do shaving.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

It depends on how much makeup people put on. If you're not going for full-face foundation etc, then a quick moisturise, mascara, lipstick can be done in just a few minutes. That's all I usually put on for work since it's a relatively casual office. If I'm going out for the night, I'll use more and take longer.

6. dcv macrumors G3

I think that was her point!

Hmmm let's see...

Men:
    - have to shave for a few mins every day/every other day/whenever

Women:
    - have to shave their legs, armpits & 'other' areas every day/every other day/whenever, or wax etc
    - have to suffer periods for 5-7 days per month
    - have to apply make-up and spend time doing their hair (ok these are more 'optional' I suppose)

Yeah, I can really see how it must be so tough being a bloke :rolleyes: :p

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you forgot a bit. :p

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Men typically die younger ... you can now breakout that pretty smile. :)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

There are queues to get into nightclubs? :eek:

10. dcv macrumors G3

I think you forgot a bit :p

- get let straight into any pub or nightclub, skipping queues proportionally according to cleavage size
    ...but have to queue for the toilets

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I have fairly heavy growth - My shadow comes in at about 3 or 4 instead of 5. But, I only shave twice a week. I just find it to be an irritating waste of money. That lets me stretch my blades out to a month. To help, I also exfoliate my face before I shave - gets rid of cells that would clog the blades. I have noticed that some blades only make it a couple of weeks and others still feel good when I chuck them. I'm using the M3 Turbo, so maybe that makes a bit of a difference - I think they feel better than the M3. I bought a Fusion Power for the $5 off + free 8 pack of Gatorade that Safeway was giving away. If it does well, maybe I'll switch when I run out of M3T blades (I like warehouses...), even they are $1 (62.5% :eek: ) more per blade ($1.60 vs. $2.60).

Oh! And I don't think there is anything that would ever make me want to be a woman. maybe affirmative action - but please lets not go there

12. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I HATE shaving. I hate it. But guys have it easier b/c we can do it in the shower (not ideal) but it works. 1 stop shopping, clean hair/body/face/shave, step out a new person. Razors last about a month for me. I have an electric 'the best in the world razor' piece of crap, it doesn't get near close enough.
    I've even contemplated laser hair removal The worst is shaving under you jaw line (upper neck). And sorry girls but I could never trade with you. Giving birth would be miserable. I just plow the fields like I'm supposed to...uh, right.:rolleyes:

13. iGav macrumors G3

what the hell kind of yeti girl has to shave her legs everyday??? :eek: :p

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LOL....she doesn't want the shadows man..it's all about the shadows

Bless

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It's always nice to be silky smooth if you think you're going to get action.

16. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've gone for a month or more on a single Gillette Mach 3 blade. I shave every other day, and it never seemed dull or anything, very smooth.

Been growing a light beard lately, so I shave far less often now :p

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The insights we get from visiting Mac Forums. Keep 'em coming.

18. Lau Guest

I'm fairly yeti-esque. :p I wouldn't say I shaved them everyday, but that's not to say I shouldn't shave them every day. :D

On the upside, I have very dark long eyelashes. Yeah, cause that makes up for it. :p

19. iGary Guest

iGary

I get about two weeks out of a Fusion blade (5 blades :eek: )

They better last. :rolleyes:

I shave every day. Hate stubble.

20. iGav macrumors G3

I bet mine are longer. ;)

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I use anything i can get my hands on....they are good and get the job done. cheap to the very end.

Bless

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

I sharpen my blade on a whetting stone every day.

23. Lau Guest

Prove it....;)

24. vniow macrumors G4

Or every 3-4 months depending on who you're talking to. ;)

Anytime over 5-10 minutes (unless I'm going out) is too much, if my hair gets too much to manage I just chop it off again.

Alternatively, depending on how you're dressed, one could always walk into the men's, its not as clean usually but there's often much less of a line. :p