Half Life Sequel Soon... for Mac also?

Discussion in 'Games' started by garzy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. garzy macrumors regular

2. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

i dunno but i doubt it because they didn't bother to port counter-strike (popular multiplayer game) to the mac, although it is quite old

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:points to signature: ;)

I doubt that HL:2 will come to mac, tho I am sending them letters every day hoping maybe 1/1000 get through. :rolleyes:

If you make a petition I will sign it, so will many people.

I'm going the mail/e-mail spamming campaign as long as I'm concerned. (joking, only 3,er, fine, 10 e-mails daily)

I don't want to miss out on another great game god damnit!

4. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Hehe... have we ever done a petition to bring the half life series to them mac? I think we might have a chance of getting Valve/Sierra's attention if we make a petition and have a lot of people sign it.

As for spamming: I think they will take that in consideration for their decision to port to me :eek:

BUT the petition just might work for :rolleyes: oh say 30% of their votes to say "Yes, lets port it."

...but then that is my guess...:D :D

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look, They MADE HL for mac, but the ****ED IT UP ARG!!!!!!!

There was something they told the porters the totally shot the code to hell, stopping it from being able to connect to win users and then they killed it (after completion I might add) and lists reasons why they killed it, one being that they couldn't connect to win. users.

We were given the shaft.

6. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

They gave up on the first try ... GRRRR:mad: :mad:

they would've made A LOT MORE $_$ :(

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

They didn't give up, they acually made the damn thing and then didn't release it because it didn't come with team fortress and my other reason stated above.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i really really hope it does...i just posted a thread on this awhile ago...

9. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

well anyway they should do it again and RELEASE IT THIS TIME!!!:eek:

10. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Re: Half Life Sequel Soon... for Mac also?

Piece of crap? They're only some of the most defining games in gaming history...counter strike is sheer madness, once you get into it (I've only played clones...but hey! :D )

Half-life was one of the most incredible games I'd ever seen at the time...jaw dropping story, IN GAME cinematic events (unique at the time). I loved the headcrabs.

11. Chef Ramen macrumors member

so whats supposed to be so great about HL2? i havent heard much about it

although im sure i will want it

12. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Oh I really hope they bring this to the mac. HL was absolutely the best single player first person shooter ever!

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sierra has been really stupid when it goes to games for the mac, see: very little.

14. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I don't see why they wouldn't port the next HF to mac's since the market seems to be much bigger than it was for the previous game and they made an attempt back then. They might be scared to try again b/c then all those companies that have successfully ported games would laugh and point at them.

15. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Port, port, port! PLEASE?!...

Although I too think Half-Life was Absolutely Fabulous (damn, I miss that series), I actually think Deus Ex is a tad better. Even more control over the game play and better interaction with the game world. Deus Ex is my all-time favourite. I really hope Aspyr will take up the work and port DX2 as soon as it comes out for PC. I want that game BAD! Oh, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., that's going to be fantastic as well, if it's gonna be what the hype and the site promise it to be. See it here.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Apple needs to take a damn stand, codevelop a game or something!

I'm serious, we are missing some damn great games, we all know this, now apple needs to also!!!

17. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

I doubt they will port it [Half Life 2] but it would be great if they do. Based on the new demo of it at E3 ( http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/123983.shtml ) it'll give Doom III a serious run for its money - it is just unbelivable how good it looks and how good the engine is. Of course that does mean that it's not going to run without the top-of-the-line computer but hey, can't have everything.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Mrmacman is correct, Apple is developing everything else for mac why not a kick your ass game that puts all to shame? If they cant do it they should buy or form some type of relation with id software or whoever and have a very special made for mac only game every year. STEVE YOU LISTENING????

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah, please, someone in management, the way to get kids like me to get a mac is one thing:
    games, games ang games.

I mean apple could team up with there killer in-house devolpers and alteast optomize it, OpenGL, Quart Extreme, and heck why not even SIMD?

This would benefit us all!

And when the game succeeds other game devolpers will look to the mac as a platform they can sell stuff to!

Comeon!

20. Raiwong macrumors member

Porting is not easy, especially for a complicated game like Half-Life, as most of you know the more complicated PC games e.g MMORPGs are never ported to macs because of the complexity. There is no direct x so it takes alot of time, and it isn't worth it because.

There isn't much mac gamers, I mean admit it we are a niche market. The developement costs might heavily outweight the revenue considering you are targetting about 2% of the market, abotu about 0.5%, when you add the non-gamers and people who can't run it.

21. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah why can't Apple release an incredible game to prove that Macs can be used for gaming? That would be great, and they would make some money on it too because some people would simply buy it just because its made by Apple. It's a good idea.

22. Raiwong macrumors member

LOL an Apple MMORPG would be as funny as hell I can't begin to imagine how it would turn out. Suggested titles:

"Apple: A New Hope"
    "Apple: Microsoft Strikes Back"
    "Apple: The Return Of Steve Jobs"

Actually that would make more like a movie trilogy, compete with matrix perhaps lol.

hmhm I can't tihnk of any appl game titles..

" The Gates of Hell Online"

23. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

The only way they'd releace H2 for the Mac would be if they released the original as well. Totally feasible since they completed it. I highly doubt it will be ported, since Valve turned away from Macs in the past.

I know what would make porting games easier. Apple could pull a M$ and create their own version of Direct X. I'd call it Apple X. Or if that's to much of a blanant ripoff, Orange.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's an HL2 for Mac petition here. It hasn't had many signatures yet, but it should get more if everyone publicises it.

25. JoeSmoe27 macrumors newbie

Many probably...

already know this but Halo, was originally scheduled to be released on both PC/Mac formats from Bungie software. Steve Jobs even displayed a demo of it at a Mac conference. A couple months later Bungie was purchased by MS, and the PC/Mac release was scrapped for 3 yrs even though it was 90% finished. Instead it was ported to Xbox, and now 3 yrs later it has come out for PC. Seems the Mac version has been discarded or lost. :-( That would have qualified as your kick-butt Mac game. Halflife2 or Doom3 on a Mac if done well would also work.