Half of US shuns literature

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I can't imagine a life without books and know very few people who don't read on a regular basis. Who are these non-readers? What's going on here?

2. professor macrumors newbie

What else is new?

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Cafe somewhere in the deep south!

Waffle Waitress: "What you readin' for?"

Bill Hicks: " Well I read for a lot of reasons, and one of them is so that i don't end up being a ****ing waffle waitress!"

Big Hairy Trucker: "Well, it looks like we got ourselves a reader!!"

:p :eek:

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Would that be William Faulkner's or Carson McCuller's deep south? Perhaps just a in southern border state like Mark Twain's? ;)

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

No Idea but it was on Bill Hicks' "Flying Saucer" (presumeably through the areas with high UFO sightings) tour that he came across this waffle house!

6. jywv8 macrumors 6502

My sister and I are avid readers. My dad reads the paper but only reads books when he's on vacation. A friend of mine has read maybe two books in the past eight years and never reads the paper (very intelligent, college-educated, well-rounded guy, but a big TV watcher...as am I).

Some people just aren't readers. They can't 'get into it'. For example, I can easily become engrossed in a book or a movie and completely lose track of reality for hours at a time, but I can't stand seeing or reading plays.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Half of US shuns literature

Wonder if this is the same half that thinks that:

1) WMD have been found in Iraq
    2) Iraq was responsible for 9/11

Ignorange (and illiteracy) is a truly dangerous thing.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

you said a mouthful!

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This news is pretty disturbing. Hell, check out the book and magazine rack at your local grocery or convenience store. Much of it is aimed at a pretty lowbrow clientele. If people find even that kind of dross too challenging to read.... :mad:

But it falls in line with something I read the other day. Author Harlan Ellison mentioned having encounters with people who proudly proclaim that they never read, who insist that they prefer television because TV is entertainment...as if reading weren't also entertainment. Taking that kind of mentality into consideration, the above results are not surprising.

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    it's not surprising...

our nation's leader openly shuns newspapers and other "nuance" type activities...

it's not a coincidence that half the nation doesn't read and half the nation still blindly supports the least successful president in history.

the question is are they the same half of the nation?

i have my theories...

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He's dyslexic. He scans the headlines, then has aides read selected items to him.

Anyway, I'm going back to reading Joyce.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Education is extremely important to my family as nearly all of my aunts and uncles have teaching degrees. We have all got a strong desire to read. Except my little brother, and it's starting to worry us.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I suspect we need to redefine literature ;) I do more writing now that I spend time on the internet in forums than I have ever done before! I also probably read a lot more. And to be quite honest reading writing at all levels of competency is much more challenging than reading a book from an author who is quite eloquent!