Halflife 2 gets 98%

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dont Hurt Me, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just got my November issue of Pc Gamer and guess what guys? they are saying this could be the greatest game of all time. They give it a 98% which is unheard of at that publication.The Article went on and on and on with pictures after pictures. They are going to be selling the first half life in a special box along with HL2. They said they put the first game on the latest engine. pretty cool eh? Guess it will look better then the original which i never played by the way because i have allways owned Macs. (until now) :cool:

(edit) Decembers issue not Nov.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you have a PS2, you could play Half-Life there.. or if you've played Halo, you've played at least 1/2 of Half-Life. :)

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yeah half life 1 was amazing. can't wait to see hl2 :)

4. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

I wonder if this is going to be like Doom 3...

Typical progression of Doom 3 player:

Where's the game? I want the game!!! Its done!!! Ooohhh, look at the review, it looks like the greatest game ever!!!!! I got it!!! I finally got it!!! I hate this game.

Of course I didn't over anticipate anything, and i find it an entertaining game. What I forsee with Half-Life 2 is a game with way too much going on. Everyone says they loved farcry (if you've ever played it) but I hated that game, there was way to much going. I didnt want to try aimlessy a hundred times over to get down a beach, using a gun that can barely aim and terrible stealth, to get into some cave.

The only two games that I want are Splinter Cell 3 and Halo 2, both of which they better port.

5. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like they rated this higher then Doom3. Im not sure but i thought they were using a doom3 engine for this game.From the pictures it looks very Doom3 like in detail and shadows. Seems this one has a little more story then the jump out of the secret panel when your back is turned. Guess ill get that new boxed set when it comes out and play the first one then 2nd. Just need to mention that iam flying around in different WWII fighters in IL2 Forgotten battles and its been a blast.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

it's nothing like Doom 3.

Doom 3 was relative crap with regards to gameplay.

Dont Hurt Me, HL2 is being built on a 3D engine called Source, which is totally and wholly unrelated to Doom 3.

if you have broadband, I'd recommend getting HL2 over Steam (www.steampowered.com) because you'll get more stuff...

7. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks benpatient, it looks very similar from the photographs and we all know the Doom3 engine rocks so this one must also. I think it will be a little nicer to the ATi crowd. As far as Doom3 game play i would agree a little weak but still fun. enjoyed the monorail and transporters. Pc Gamer says Half Life 2 is history in the making and i counted the pages they gave to this thing. 8! reminds me of War of the Worlds. Big tripod looking thing.......

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm definitely looking forward to counter-strike: source, which is going to be bundled with HL2. It's too bad that I don't have a more powerful computer, though.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's been said before, but the best part of DOOM 3 is not the game itself, but future games that will use the same engine.

10. iZzle macrumors member

so if youve played halo, then youve played 1/4 Life. :p

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i got a 4 DVD set of all the E3 stuff, and it had a HL 2 demo. all i thought when i saw it was "WOW :D"

the physics are amazing, it actually works, and will definitely affect the gameplay. the environments look amazingly detailed, it just goes on and on...

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Do you know that it’s already available via Steam?

13. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What is steam ? a downloadable game off the net? Anyways i prefer a hard copy with box & manual etc..

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

First, I meant Counterstrike: Source, not HL2 (just to clarify). Steam (hope the link is right) is the platform where you play Half Life and all of the mods. You can also download new games.

15. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks, on a side note i'm sure with all the fuss over this game someone will try to get the rights to port it to Mac.

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

if it goes to Mac, Valve will do it themselves.

They've expressed little-to-no interest in doing so, however.

They have a fairly secure and fairly reliable product in the current iteration of Steam, and because everything runs on Steam, it seems unlikely that we will see stand-alone Mac ports for Source-engine games. The network code is fully handled by Steam now, and It's taken them over a year to get Steam working "how it was supposed to" on PCs, while literally millions of people have served as first generation mass market testing for the product. Writing a Steam client for Macs at this point would be a risky and expensive venture with little to no return on investment. If I were Valve, I wouldn't touch OS X with a 10 foot pole where Steam and Source are concerned.

17. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad i went ahead and got a Pc for gaming, this will be my next purchase. Just for those that dont subscribe to PC gamer ;) they said Highs- everything graphics,plot,gameplay, its what the experts have been predicting for this medium. Bottom line? Supasses Half-Life in everyway. Arguably the best game ever made. The only lows was that squadmates sometimes get in your way. They also tell about a gravity gun you get hold of that you can use to throw things such as say a car. ! im going to start saving my lunch money right now. :D

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Though back when HL1 debuted on the PC, Macs still ran OS9 or below. OSX on the otherhand is more Windows compatible. I'm sure porting Steam would be fairly easy, but taking Source from DX to OpenGL is probably the biggest hindering factor.

19. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Andrew Meggs on Mac Half-Life 2

Link:
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=7782

20. Cohiba macrumors member

Cohiba

HL2 was an AMAZING in its day!!!! It absolutely had it all; gameplay, graphics, and storyline. When it was released it was grounbreaking, I'm sure HL2 wont be an exception. Hopefully it will make it over to Mac, if not I'll have to ignore it completly and pretend it doesnt exist!

21. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Slashdot has a flash that HL2 has gone gold. Should be just a few weeks now. This is going to be a 'must have' game for me. I absolutely loved the first one. Not to mention all the braincells burned playing DOD and Counterstrike. In my opinion, Halflife was a much more important game than the original Doom. ( I know that this is heresy to some though.) Yes Doom created whole new genre but I believe that Halflife re-invigorated it. Especially for modders. Halflife made mods so important in a game package and much more interesting sometimes than the original game.

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, but my computer can't run it very well...

edit: I don't have a credit card, so it's impossible for me to order CS: Source through steam.

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I bought HL2 Silver package off Steam two days ago. It came with HL2, Day of Defeat: Source, HLSource, CS Source, Condition Zero, CounterStrike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, HL, Deathmatch Classic, Opposing Force, and Ricochet. Not bad for $60.

All are currently playable except the first three. CS Source is FRICKIN AWESOME. I've got Doom III, and the source engine absolutely kills Doom's engine. I can't even begin to describe how incredible the game looks and interacts. I was in the office level, shot a tall file cabinet a few times, and the thing tips over (realistically teatering a bit) and knocks the three small cabinets next to it over a foot. When you spray bullets out, the sound changes with what you hit. Metal sounds different than wood, drywall, dirt, stone, water, etc. Even tiny pipes on walls have this built in. It's subtle but a huge difference from old games. You have to be careful about what you hide behind. A crate may withstand one guys bullets, but when you're outnumbered, that same crate may splinter apart. Also, the walls/floors/ceilings are 99.5% photorealistic from about 8 feet away (in game distance).

The game has some bugs still (like screenshots not working). I'll post pics when I get them. I'm getting around 45-85 fps depending on the map. Average is about 60 (@ 1280x1024 w/ max everything).

BUY THIS GAME!!!

24. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i got Doom 3 the day it came out and i'm on of the only people i know who really enjoyed playing through it. there were a couple "slow" parts, but unlike the "slow" parts in Halo (great game as well) they were intentionally put there in Doom 3. it helped with the scare factor. i also got the Silver package on Steam and have been really enjoying Counter-Strike: Source. i don't think the Source engine KILLS the Doom 3 engine at all. they both focus on different aspects and both do a great job. that being said the Source engine takes a less powerful computer than Doom 3 does. i just can't wait to play Doom 3 on a 512MB video card so it can be played in all it's glory... yummy.

while Counter-Strike: Source is a heck of a lot better than the original (to the point that i actually play it now!) i'm so insanely looking forward to Day of Defeat: Source... that is going to be so unbelievably sweet.

25. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Oh yeah, that’s so true. I’ve never been a big fan of CS, but I love DOD. With the new engine this will be a great game, although my PC probably won’t be able to handle it. :(