HalfLife 2 on Macbook with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Games' started by benguild, Dec 28, 2006.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

HL2 runs really well on both my mac pro, my friend's Macbook Pro, and pretty well on my brother's MacBook.

However on his MacBook, he's running the game from an external drive (firewire) and getting funky "Datacache.dll" crashes... I can't tell if this attributes back to the external drive or if there's something else the game doesn't like. It plays just fine, but then crashes at random times (like when autosaving,... it'll autosave then "auto-crash" :()

Is anyone else playing HL2 on a Macbook? I'm thinking about installing it on mine to see if it works there.

2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

same thing happens to me every once in a while. I'm running it through bootcamp on my macbook, not on an external drive.

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I just installed the game on my Macbook on its internal drive... behaved the exact same way. What a letdown, I got him the game for xmas!

I wonder if there's any way around this :(

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if you guys are running Xp in its default mode? Windows starts all kinds of what I call crap in the background when it fires up. I also had some issues in HL2 and resorted to using run under the start menue. under msn config filen turn offsystem ini,process win and load start up after doing that my crashes stopped. It may be worth a try . May have nothing to do with your problem though I dont know.

5. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

what exactly did you turn off?

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I've never had this before, but I do have lots of problems with CS:S when it comes to bots (more often than not, it just gives up and crashes). Any ideas for my problem?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Try turning off process system ini,process win ini and turn off load start up. These are simple boxes that are on or off. You can turn them back on if you want to later. This is done under the start tab , then run tab typing in msconfig then you will have the ability to turn off or on these things. Also before messing with this you may want to read through Steams support information where they have lots of info on HL2 crashes and what causes them.

8. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm... okay. And you were receiving this same error? I'm not sure I want to just turn off SYSTEM.INI... that could be destructive.

In other news.. there's a thread started by someone else in the Steam Forums about this very same issue: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519904

Plus, the official "datacache.dll" error thread:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352128

Still no answers, though.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I never said I was getting the same error, and I did say you should read the support section. How can turning off system init be destructive? steam even suggest this for some problems.

10. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay so we've made some progress... by running it with the "-dxlevel 70" (DirectX level 7.0) and turning all of the graphics options all the way down... it now doesn't crash when saving/auto-saving... but still somewhat randomly in-game. It's at least playable now

Oh, and you can't run the game widescreen for some reason or the problems will continue.... the best we can do is 1024x768 stretched. His system has 1.25GB of RAM installed, so we set the "-heapsize 768000" (to ~768MB) and it runs fantastically other than the crashing.

What still sucks is:
    a) the random crashing (datacache.dll 00008a37 or whatever)
    b) with "-dxlevel 70" turned on, the game resets its graphic settings automatically so we have to reconfigure it every time, which sucks

it appears to be the typical sound looping error... I don't know :confused:
    It seems like maybe the graphics card is just junk and we should try setting the resolution down to 800x600.

11. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update, after receiving some "memory could not be read" errors... we cleared out all of the settings and used this fix instead:
    +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1

Set the display resolution to full 16:10 widescreen (1280x800) with all of the graphics options set to the lowest settings (can't tell the difference on a small screen anyway :D)

Seems to be running perfectly, will report back if otherwise.