Halflife on iPod Nano

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thanatoast, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Searched and didn't find anything. This video shows a person playing Halflife on their iPod Nano.

Any votes as to what should go next? I vote SimCity 4. :D

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I vote "too small of a screen to enjoy games"

Bless

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I say if it's on a 5g that's ok because it's similar to a GBA. On a Nano, not so much.
    But it is a doom file, that's it. Obviously this guy has never seen Half Life.

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

It's not just for nano's. I have this on my 3G 15GB iPod. As soon as you get Linux on your 5G iPod I'm sure doom will be playable on it.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

On an iPod Video, which has a higher resolution than one DS screen, it would be more interesting.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yeah... this isn't Half-Life.

I expected something cool, but this is old news. Doom for iPod Linux is kinda lame...

I had an idea about using iPod Linux, the Folding@Home client, and IP over FireWire to fold on my iPod but there is no way to compile for the iPod. Otherwise it might just have worked.:rolleyes: That'd have been cool.

This is just dumb. Messing up Half-Life and Doom?:eek:

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I think there is something intrinsically wrong with a person who spends their time trying to put a "cheap and crappy" looking imitation of a decent game on an iPod.

I use my iPod for music not games that's what I have a Gameboy for.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

That's an interesting idea. You could probably just figure a way to transfer a workload to the iPod and not have to mess with IP over FW. And there is a way to compile for the iPod under iPod Linux. There has to be a way, otherwise, how'd they get Linux working and how'd they get Doom working. Anyway, feasable or not, it still isn't practical. It would take forever and it would drain the battery pretty fast I'd assume.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ZOMG that s so l33t I wnt 2 play qwake 4 on Ipod lols

12. jtalerico macrumors 6502

If you read a comment on there it states that it is just someone reflecting the game off a monitor.. Once i started looking i began to think the same thing.. Not sure if this is really valid. But pretty cool!

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

My vote: how the f*** to you control a fps on an iPod? :confused: :rolleyes: :p

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No, its the fact that the F@H client isn't open source which meant that I couldn't compile it. I know that there are compilers for iPod Linux, but if you don't have any source to compile, they do nothing.

And hence, the IP over FireWire idea. It would keep the iPod charged while it ran, and also let it connect to the internet for data uploads/downloads, etc.

15. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

How fast would it fold anyway?

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Except that you can see a reflection of the camera on the screen...

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Not fast enough to be practical, but it would qualify for "fweakin' awesome" status.

And imagine the power of dual 90MHz CPUs running overnight on the easiest proteins. It may take a while, but eventually, it would get done.