Halfway to 10,000!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 3, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm making progress towards the 10,000 mark. I reached 5,000 recently - I'll probably get to 10,000 points by September.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulations! :) The team definitely appreciates the contributions.

3. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I just reached 19.7 (do i get a cookie?)

What are you running to get so many points - 5000 by September?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No cookies (they're for browsers), just certificates. :) That's a lot of paper.

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Congrats on 5000 points...you must have several computers running Folding.

It seems like our team is steadily increasily our production. We're now at 36,000 points on the 24 hour average production.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your folding progress. Thank you and all our members for the great work. :)

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My 1.25 GHz iMac and my 3.2 GHz Windows machine, both running Folding@Home 24/7.
    EDIT: I've reconfigured my Windows machine for optimum WU production. I re-enabled HyperThreading, set up two instances of the Folding@Home console, and assigned them to different virtual CPUs.

8. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

From memory that will actually slow down your Folding. HyperThreading has a 5-6% raw CPU loss, plus the incurred memory and IO could mean a much more significant decrease.

If someone has figures that prove me otherwise, feel free to correct me, my figures are about 6 months old.

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Someone else on these forums (in another thread) said that enabling HyperThreading on a Windows machine, then setting up two consoles on each virtual CPU increases point production by 33% - that's why I did it. Now I'm getting conflicting advice :confused:

10. Nanuq macrumors newbie

11. Amani macrumors member

Amani

lol know how you feel. i probably won't reach 500 before next year.

12. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

13. Nanuq macrumors newbie

No problem! I haven't tested it out yet, I only have one machine with HT and it produced fairly well with only one client running, but have not had much time to check performance since I've added the second client. I hope it works out...

14. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Whoa - Folding@Home performance SHOT up after I made the change. Check my stats - I've already surpassed 6,000 points.

15. Nanuq macrumors newbie

Very nice! I just wonder if maybe it's more because of the WU's you got, maybe you just had a few tinkers loaded up? But in any case, even if it just helps a little, it'll go a long way!

Keep it fun!

16. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah - I got TWO big ol' tinkers after I reconfigured F@H. Those gave me a big pile of points.

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It's nice when you get a couple of those finishing at the same time. Yesterday was my highest single-day points score to date: 824 points :) Looks good, even if I can't keep that up all the time.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That works, but if you're like me, it may be a long while before you have any more points because of new Tinkers. :D

19. Nanuq macrumors newbie

Yeah I had my biggest day the other day too, 1700+ points!! I was so very surprised when I checked my stats.... average of about 900-950 per day up to 1700+...

Keep up the fold!

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm at 1263 points, and I hardly ever run the thing :rolleyes:

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Nanuq,
    would you consider folding for the Macrumors team? You've been around these boards for a while and we certainly would love to have you in the team.
    You are a one-man(woman?) team, so you'd be able to keep track of all your points just the same, and your personal overall stats won't be affected if you don't change username.
    Besides, with your kind of production you'd swoosh up the ranks in our team and quickly reach a level for some healthy head-to-heads.
    Hey, you might even pass me! ;)

just give it a thought

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I finally have a computer that can actually do some good! Before early this week, I only had sub-1GHz Macs running it. Now, I have a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook. We'll see how much I can do. Thanks for your contributions!

23. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Today I did a 6 point work unit (among others). Is this a work unit being half completed or failing? I can't seem to find a 6 point work unit in the project summary.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hmmmm... so I should be running two instances of F@H on my P4 2.4 with HT? If somebody can tell me how/what I'm supposed to do I'll go ahead and do it... then once that runs stable for a week I'll slowly start overclocking it (I can OC it in the BIOS easily) until it reaches a good neutral point. I never use the durn machine anyhow...

25. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    now i've been folding for a little while now and i don't mean to sound dumb but, how do you guys get these stats like how many daily points you get or how long it'll take to surpass another team and stuff like that? :confused: