Hall of Famer Gary Carter dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Feb 17, 2012.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Plus the fact that it was only discovered a year ago.

4. macrumors regular

I was lucky enough to see him play quite a few times. As an Expo and as a Met. I am so saddened. RIP Mr. Carter. You will be missed. AND NEVER FORGOTTEN!

5. macrumors 68000

Silencio

Only a Giant for a single season, but by far my favorite catcher in the 1980s. Class player, class guy, gone way too soon.

6. macrumors 68030

Montreal Canadiens tribute to Gary Carter

I was a huge baseball fan when I was a kid. Played for years. LOVED the game. Actually had a gf break up with me b/c she said I talked about baseball too much lol

Carter was a class act, I always remembered him smiling. I remember watching the Dodgers - Expos in 81' (?) , sitting by myself, watching the game on an ol' black and white TV while all my friends were outside playing then crying when Rick Monday won the game :(

This video doesn't show it, but the Habs players all wore Canadiens jerseys with Carter's #8 on it then auctioned the jerseys off later for the Gary Carter Kids Foundation.

The first part is in French, but the English is after.

Though you folks would appreciate it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/watc...-canadiens-paid-tribute-to-gary-carter-2012-2

btw, I forgot to mention that I'm more of a closet fan now. Ironicially, it was the big strike where the Expos were leading the season and it was cancelled, that turned me off. In my mind, that ruined a good part of baseball what with the big idiotic contracts and free agency. Better for players, but I feel the game is now more of who can spend more rather than a GM and its scouting team doing the right job enough. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but disappointing.

I do, however, have an annual fall tradition where we end up watching most of the world series while moose hunting in a remote hunting cabin with satellite. :)