>HALLIBURTON & Others To Profit GREATLY from Mars Mission

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LaMerVipere, Jan 24, 2004.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

This originally appeared in the Center for American Progress' Daily Progress.

New polls show that at a time of record deficits, the public is against spending billions on a Mars mission while cutting domestic priorities. Nonetheless, there is one company that has supported a Mars mission for years: Halliburton. The company, which was headed by Vice President Dick Cheney and is a major financial backer of the Administration, has long supported funding a Mars plan because it is good for its drilling technology business (it was also Cheney who spearheaded the Mars plan inside the White House).

In fact, Kiplinger's reported back in 2001, "several companies and university labs will stand to benefit from new projects" in a Mars mission—including Halliburton. And the payoff could be big: Citizens Against Government Waste notes that, despite the White House's initial lowballing, legitimate "cost estimates for the new program range from $550 billion to $1 trillion."

Halliburton is already involved in a preliminary consortium of industry and academia "organized to support the development of new technology required for the Mars mission." Petroleum News confirmed that "NASA has been working with Halliburton and others to identify drilling technologies that might work on Mars."

President Bush seemed to innocently pitch the Mars mission as an opportunity to develop new space technologies. He said, "Along this journey we'll make many technological breakthroughs. We don't know yet what those breakthroughs will be, but we can be certain they'll come, and that our efforts will be repaid many times over." But for what will those technological advances be used? According to Halliburton, more oil drilling on Earth. As Streich wrote, "Drilling technology for Mars research will be useful for the oil and gas industries." He says "the oil industry is in need of a revolutionary drilling technique that allows quicker and more economical access to oil reserves." A Mars mission "presents an unprecedented opportunity" to develop that drilling technique and "improve our abilities to support oil and gas demands on Earth."

On top of the Halliburton factor, USA Today reports that Cheney "persuaded Bush that there could be military benefits, such as space-based defense systems."

http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/9774
    ^full copy of article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21186-2004Jan15.html
    ^related article

2. g5man macrumors newbie

This is news to me but it is great news.

An American company along with the military will benefit. This is perfect.

3. denjeff macrumors member

g5man, where did you get that cynical twitch?!? far cousin of margret tatcher?

that s bilions of tax money flooding from your wallet to cheney's wallet. and probably to the bush family. and probably to rumsfeld.

4. denjeff macrumors member

don t get me wrong g5man... i kinda like you :) this forum would be less interesting without you.

did you ever read ann coulter? i don t like to read only one point of view and i am looking to read some sort of right wing, pro dead penalty, against abortion, against eutanisia, pro american warfare kind of book... is there anything you can suggest me? i can suggest you michael moore (he is funny) and some old stuff of michael parenti (he is serious)...

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Probably from one of the times he got banned here.

6. g5man macrumors newbie

LOL:D
    Actually I have not read any of those right wing authors and don't plan on doing so . I am too pro immigration, pro choice, and pro eutanisa. Funny thing I went by accident to a MeetUp for Conservatives, I felt so uncomfortable with those right nutty wingers I had to leave early.

I get my left side liberal talking points from here so no need to read Michael Moore.;)

I recommend The Last Lion by William Manchester.

I am about to read The Progress Paradox How Life Gets Better While People Feel Worse by Gregg Easterbrook

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

""Drilling technology for Mars research will be useful for the oil and gas industries." He says "the oil industry is in need of a revolutionary drilling technique that allows quicker and more economical access to oil reserves." A Mars mission "presents an unprecedented opportunity" to develop that drilling technique and "improve our abilities to support oil and gas demands on Earth." "

Now, I'm all in favor of space exploration and Moon bases and Mars whatzits and all that, BUT: The above just really sounds like BS to me.

As a sorta snide remark about the way costs of space programs rise: Well, it's a Gummint program, ain't it? How is it any different from any of the social programs? They do the same thing, moneywise.

"If beer was made by the government, it would cost you sixty bucks a six pack." Damfino who, but he wuz right...

Ya know, life was a heckuva lot simpler before "multi-national corporations" and "diversified corporate structures".

'Rat