Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
anyone going to be in madison, WI for friday and sat?

EDIT: and what are you going to be, so i can spot out macn3rds.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
toezter said:
Well if you give the nifty 'search' feature a try... you'll find that there were two halloween threads; one here and one that got closed because it was a duplicate here.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
iguy-ipodlove.jpg

aww he loves his younger brothers ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
AliensAreFuzzy said:
They're not allowing any overnighter visitors in the dorms this year.
Psh, that's what they say. :p But what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
toezter said:

far different from "what are you going to be" posts.

Madison holds an unofficial halloween "party" where state street is filled packed with a bunch of people from the college, schools, cities, ect. it was in sports illustrated awhile back.

i have pics, but they don't do the justice. i'll try to get one from the top and bottom of the road.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
AliensAreFuzzy said:
They're not allowing any overnighter visitors in the dorms this year.

I know.. so it's good that I go to the UW, and don't live in the dorms. ;)

They used pepper spray to "encourage" people to leave last year, but it was a couple years ago (I think '02?) when the police used tear gas to break up the crowd. The crowd was drunken, and the guys were getting all worked into a frenzy by some visiting females performing a, uh, striptease of sorts from a second floor hotel window. Things went a'flying and the police cracked down.

Last year I got out of the main group of people after a bonfire started on the street and the cops showed up in riot gear. Seemed an appropriate time to leave.

Anyone else who's been here for other years?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
sarae said:
I know.. so it's good that I go to the UW, and don't live in the dorms. ;)

They used pepper spray to "encourage" people to leave last year, but it was a couple years ago (I think '02?) when the police used tear gas to break up the crowd. The crowd was drunken, and the guys were getting all worked into a frenzy by some visiting females performing a, uh, striptease of sorts from a second floor hotel window. Things went a'flying and the police cracked down.

Last year I got out of the main group of people after a bonfire started on the street and the cops showed up in riot gear. Seemed an appropriate time to leave.

Anyone else who's been here for other years?

I went to school at UW from 99-03. Halloweens were always big, but somehow they started getting over the top nutty in like 2002. I remember the strip tease deal - there was actually rioting. People broke the windows in several shops. I think it broke out at like 2:45am and I had gone home around 2:15.

It's pretty crazy and fun. People try to be as outrageous as possible. Saturday night at like 11 and then again at bar time the streets will be so packed you'll have to shove your way through.

Unfortunately a lot of "townies" who are going nowhere in life drive up from tinytown, WI and, finding themselves intimidated by the fact that most UW students are actually on a path to leave wisconsin and have careers, they become violent. THere are a lot of fights.

I wish i could go up there, but I'll actually be landing in Beijing on halloween and i think that's even more exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.