Halloween

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Anyone getting dressed up this year? Going to a party?

I think that if the sniper isn't caught by the 31st, things are going to be a bit mellowed this year around here.

And if you have a pic of your best costume you should post it.

D

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I've never gone trick or treating. Never.

Sad huh? :(

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I didn't know computer enthusiasts (a more polite description than "geeks", "nerds", etc.) like us ever got invited to parties. If I do, I'll remove my pocket protector and my glasses-with-tape-over-the-nose and go as a normal person. Ha!

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just not right - I have so many great memories as a kid trick or treating and some good ones as an adult.

The best Halloween party I ever had was in 98 - and I still have the pics on the web - here

It was a good costume, but a couple years before I had a better one, I'll have to see if I can dig it up....

D

5. diorio macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I'm going to be 17. I went last year, but I think my neighbors will tell me to go away if I go this year...

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I bought the CD of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion music. We play it loudly out the window on Halloween to entertain the kids trick or treating in the neighborhood. We get to hear that "Grim grinning ghosts" song over, and over, and over, and ...

7. vniow macrumors G4

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

What is it with you Americans, you must be the only country on the planet that has a national holiday to celebrate all things bad and evil. And you wonder why muslims around the world call America the great evil. I do not know any other country that celebrates it like the US, even the UK which is meant to be the most Americanised country after the US does not celebrate Haloween.

I would like to hear an American give their opinion on it.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

same here, I just don't wear a costume :D.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You got it. :D Halloween is indeed based upon "evil" origins, however we've glazed it over so much, like Christmas and Easter, that it's no longer celebrating the true meaning; it's just an excuse to dress up, go around to peoples' houses and scarf candy.

BTW... I go trick-or-treating every year with my best friend. But as of late, as we're now a bit too old for that (22 to be exact), we take his younger sisters along so we have an excuse... and we hold their bags for them and, uh... *cough*takesomeoftheircandywhilethey'renotlooking*cough* MWAHAHAHA. :p

Oh, and as to Doctor Q, that's classic! I have an old Hollywood Halloween Sound Effects LP record that I drag out my portable record player and play that out the window... every bit as good :D (downside over using a CD player: no repeat feature!)

11. vniow macrumors G4

First of all define evil, you'll find that it's only a projection, there is no 'true' evil like there is no 'true' good, they're both archetypes which means that they can't exist outside our minds.

Plus would you rather us go out and dress up like saints, popes and angels every Haloween?
    :rolleyes:

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Before we had this CD, we used another approach. We bought a "Haunted Mansion" kiddie record (an L.P., that is) at Disneyland. It had a story about two kids lost in the mansion, with the real music from the ride in between "scenes". We copied bits of the music and sound effects to a tape cassette player with a special infinite loop cassette in it.

We could play it over and over just by pressing PLAY. Now we use the REPEAT feature of a CD player. Hmmm. I wonder if I can use iTunes to do it on the Mac instead?

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The holiday Americans have today evolved out of traditions of the Celtic culture in Ireland 2000 years ago. The tradition of "All Hallows Eve" spread to other countries in Europe around the seventh century. Irish immigrants brought it to America.

Mexico has a related holiday, Dia De Los Muertos, at the same time of year, which honors those who have died. The Chinese honor the dead similarly.

Americans have mostly turned it into a harmless event for children (and adults who get to behave like children). They observe it for fun, not to celebrate evil. Americans have commercialized Halloween, as they have with many holidays. In the USA, having fun is serious business!

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

First off I scary little kids who come to my door, I set up a wireless camara and speakers. I yell at the little kids and everything. So mad fun.
    Then I go out a burn stuff, random stuff. ;) :D

15. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That sounds productive.....:rolleyes:

But as for a celebration of evil, well, if Hallmark can have Happy Halloween cards, you know its not evil. For kids this probably ranks 2 or 3 on the holiday list - with Xmas being the first. Easter is also close, because of the candy, but for me, Halloween was the best, non-religious holiday, even if you didn't get holiday from school.

16. job macrumors 68040

job

Well apart from changing my clock and getting an extra hour of sleep...

I don't think I'll be doing much..

And oh yea...I think hvfsl's comments are too funny....

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'll probably be going to a party...no dress-up though...

I got over that quick when I was 6'2" in the 8th grade and people kept saying, "Aren't you a little old...?"

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, hvfsl, comments like yours show how deeply the US is misunderstood and used as a scapegoat for everything wrong in the world. Educate yourself before making accusations like that.

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Yes, Halloween just proves that the US is the root of all evil in the world :rolleyes:

I haven't dressed up since 7th grade. I did have a pretty good Klingon costume one year, I had to be an old skool klingon since the makeup didn't come out good.

19. job macrumors 68040

job

I have not dressed up since the 4th grade..

Last year I walked with my brother and took a 10% commission.. :D

I dunno if there will be any parties in my area though..

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

last year my ex-girlfriend & I dressed up as "dominatrix & bitch"

she had slicked back hair, fishnet stockings with FM Boots, corset...looked pretty hot...

I had black socks, brown dress shoes, silk boxers & a dog collar w/chain...

can u imagine walking around the French Quarter like that?! :eek:

it was a lot of fun honestly...not sure where the pictures are though...

as for this year, I'll probably put on my baby costume...I'll have to show pictures so u can get the idea...he he he ;)

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Hell ya. I'm gonna have a rager. After all it's my Birthday. :D

22. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would be very impressed if you posted those pics - we wouldn't even need to do any work on them....;)

So no one else here has any pics of their costumes? Come on guys.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a picture from last year with me wearing a Budweizer half case box on my head. It's cut off at the handle so the box come down over your head and you look out of each handle hole with the middle part the actual handle coming down over your nose. We also had a fake sword to go with it.

Unfortunately it's on file and I don't have a digital camera and I took back my last scanner and don't have the money to get another one yet because I bought this new computer.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're right of course, but few Americans realise the derivation from All Hallow's Eve. I have a specific distaste for it, as I was almost killed by a Satanic group.

It is, however, the number two holiday for confectioners and that's what's really important in the states, right?