Halloween

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Oct 30, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

so what do the board members of macrumors do for halloween? there's a bunch of halloween party's down at my college.. though im not one to partaayy if you know what i mean.. i figure there will be little kids smacking at my door to get some candy, of which i have none lol. and on top of all that, i have a pre calc midterm friday.. in the words of jim cramer, BOO YA.. :( :eek:

2. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Aren't there already some Halloween threads? Wasn't one Wastelanded. Anyway, I will sit at home with my (new) GF doing whatever.

3. jazzlover macrumors member

jazzlover

I did this stupid crossword this morning www.creepycrossword.com Kindof an ad but I love halloween and crossword puzzles so here ya go.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

CubaTbird, you cheap-skate... go buy some candy for the kids!

We picked up 60 packs of twizzlers for $2 at the grocery... cheap and tasty!

I'll be handing out candy tonight and encouraging parents to vote NO on State of Ohio issues 1,2,3,4 &5!

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Since I have been doing battle with a cold for the past week, I decided to lie low. I might decide to answer the door for the many rug rats that live in my apartment community. Hopefully I won't have the potential gang members (those that are between 14-17 that came to my door without costume over the past few years).

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I might try to take some pics of the kids that come by. I just resent going out for the "treats" sake. Some in my old neighborhood did not even give it a fighting chance. IT was all about intimidation for the "goods"....

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

That was fun for a time waster. Now to get back to figuring out how to correct my colour/printing problems for Graphic class tomorrow.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I am going to spend the evening grading papers for ungrateful adolescents. I am openly allowing myself to be interrupted by other adolescents so that they may ungratefully ask for candy that they have no intention of paying me for. I intend to dispense grammar advice to all.

The dog will be dressed as a pumpkin. More accurately as a pumpkin that is actively attempting to protect its den by screaming and showing its teeth. The woman, who is a veterinarian, will be peforming surgery on cats while dressed as a cat. This is not a metaphor. She has ditched me and the dog to "save lives " for the evening. While dressed as a cat.

This all sounds almost human.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I can see it....

"Yo! Where's the candy at?"
    "You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition."
    "Where's the candy at, #!@#$@"

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Luckily, we live up on the fifth floor so the chances of any kids banging on our door are somewhat slim... :D

Over here, kids have been banging on doors for a good week now demanding money – uncostumed, of course. From tomorrow they'll be banging on doors demanding money saying 'Penny for the Guy' – they don't have a Guy with them, of course. Don't bother trying to give them any sweets – anything less then cold, hard cash will be met with a string of expletives... :mad:

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Can you explain "Penny for the Guy"? Some of us are clueless.

I remember last year with 14 top 17 yo "hoods" without costume looking for the candy. I really wanted to give them nothing, but since we had elements of MS13 in the neighborhood, I thought it was safer to give out the candy... :eek:

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, sorry!

It's a tradition associated with Guy Fawkes Night. Basically, a commemoration of us defeating a dastardly terrorist type-plot ages ago, and giving the nation's dogs a reason to cower under the kitchen table.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Were you in my old neighborhood? It is no longer about the best houses or best costumes. It is just a reflection of the best return on on the "portfolio". Greed has won. :(

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So they moved it to All Hallows Eve to make it more politically acceptable then?

So where does the penny for the Guy come in?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm going to see my new film tonight after the Halloween Parade. I was nervous last night, but now I'm just excited. Yes- that's me in the top panel- the scary bald guy. :)

http://www.splitpillow.com/pages/home.html

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

There are exactly zero children of Trick or Treating age in my building, and since I'm six floors up, there won't be anyone knocking on my door tonight.

I suppose I could throw candy off my balcony at people walking by on the street below... ;)

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, Halloween and Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night are two entirely separate occasions, with entirely separate traditions. Although the origins of Guy Fawkes Night were highly political, there's really nothing in the way of politics attached to the occasion any more. I think I'm right in saying that it's only in recent years that we've started celebrating Halloween in a similar way to the Americans.

On Guy Fawkes Night, we go out to stand around bonfires, eat toffee apples and watch fireworks. An effigy of Guy Fawkes is traditionally placed on the top of the bonfire and burnt – in the days leading up to November 5 children would take the effigy door-to-door, or sit outside shops, asking for a 'penny for the Guy'. This part of the Bonfire Night tradition doesn't happen too much nowadays, Halloween and trick or treating have become much more popular.

18. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

since we're all steelers fans, we're going to one of the steelers bars here in chicago, but we're going in costume. my friends and i usually dress up as a group; last year we were all characters from charlie and the chocolate factory, and this year we're going as characters from the royal tennenbaums. (i'm richie)

by the way, the best costume i ever saw was at our party last year- a friend of ours came as the midnight train to georgia, complete with train tracks on his feet, a steaming locomotive casing for his front, a clock perpetually set to 11:55, and the gladys knight song looped, playing from a completely concealed stereo. it was brilliant.

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Someone just showed up at my door as a toaster.

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I just gave out some twizzlers.

I opened the door and she looked at me. Then looked down at the candy bowl.

She didn't offer anything until I demanded:

"SAY IT."

Then I got a "Trick or treat?"

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are better than I am. Your comment would have gotten me the "shank"..

Glad that my apartment community has requested that those that want to participate in Halloween, to put up a sign. I will see how that works tonite. :D

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Woah. An opt-in for Halloween? How very ... web-centric.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL

Here it is after 9PM and not a single knock at the door. Looks like my co-workers will get fat tomorrow with the left over candy!

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That sounds like a good idea. What kind of sign did you use? In our neighborhood the person just turns on their porch light. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

sitting here on MR, my friends went to salem and didn't ask me, i don't care though, i went last year and it was way to busy and didn't want to deal with all those people... so i'm going to post away and study for my science test on wends :(