Halo 1.5.2 crashes on iMac G5

Discussion in 'Games' started by iindigo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I downloaded the Halo demo a few days ago, played it and absolutely loved it. In fact I ordered a copy just yesterday.

I tried launching the demo today, and it refuses to open - it shows the "HALO" loading screen for a second and then just quits. I've tried everything I can think of (trashing the prefs, repairing permissions, restarting, etc.) and nothing fixes it. I don't get why, it ran just fine yesterday.

The hardware/software I'm using is the following:

iMac G5 20" 2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    250GB HD
    ATI Radeon 9600 128MB
    Mac OS X 10.4.2
    Halo Demo 1.5.2

What's wrong here? Any insight greatly appreciated.

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Haven't a clue what's wrong (maybe the demo has expired?) but my suggestion would be to spotlight it, trash it and download it again - or just wait for your main copy to arrive.

Halo is a truly awesome game, you will have a lot of entertainment if you've not played it through before (?). The running, the gunning, the flying and the er..., library. But don't worry too much about that, it's only one [very long] level...

Good purchase!

3. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Heh, go figure... I installed new RAM (I now have 2GB) and Halo stopped crashing. WTF?

I've played the demo for a couple weeks now and yes it's pretty darn awesome :) I now see why M$ bought Bungie for it.

4. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Same thing happened to me when my HD got too low (less virtual memory to run). Halo must have do some extra checking into memory space when opening.

Glad to hear the memory fixed it. For me, it just precluded the utter decimation of my OS X as the HD directory broke down (fortunately I could still boot into OS 9 and all my data was intact). But, then running OS X with 250MB free on my hard drive was just asking for trouble. :p

5. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Halo's a fun game, but it's all about the multiplayer mode. Playing against other Mac players and PC people is fun.

When I bought it last year, I had to update it to 1.5.1. Hopefully your copy is already updated. If not, you might want to consider it.

Pros: get more servers
    Cons: need to install disk when playing the game